The complex of the parish church of All Saints, Lisków
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The complex of the parish church of All Saints

Lisków

photo

The church in Lisków, built in years 1899-1901, remains a fine example of Gothic Revival ecclesiastical architecture of the late 19th century. The church features stylistically uniform interior fixtures and fittings as well as a decorative wall painting by one of the students of the painter Józef Mehoffer, created in years 1930-35. The church and the cemetery are circumscribed by a brick wall and a Gothic Revival entrance gate. The rectory erected during the second half of the 19th century adds the finishing touch to the complex. The history of the church is linked to reverent Wacław Bliziński, who had spent much of his life in the service of the local community.

History

Towards the end of the 13th century, Lisków was mentioned in a number of documents as forming the property of the archbishops of Gniezno. From the late 16th century until the Partitions of Poland, the village remained in the hands of the Kalisz branch of the Jesuit Order. In the mid-20th century, it was considered to be a model for other villages to follow. From 1902 onwards, the farming and trade cooperative society known as “Rolnik” (“The Farmer”) and a number of other local government institutions remained active here. Lisków also had its own school of agriculture, a children’s hospital, a fire station, a dairy, the People’s House, an amateur theatre, a local orchestra, the People’s Bank and a local magazine known as “Liskowianie”. Yet despite the impressive number of these initiatives, there was one man behind them all - the local parish-priest, rev. Wacław Bliziński (1870-1944).

The parish in Lisków was originally founded back in the 14th century.

In 1770, a second, wooden church was erected, replacing the previous temple the history of which remains unknown.

During the second half of the 19th century, a brick rectory was built next to the Lisków church.

In years 1899-1901, a new church, designed in the Gothic Revival style, was erected; the wall around the church and the cemetery was built at the same time.

The church was consecrated in 1911.

The wall paintings inside the church were executed in years 1930-1935 and subsequently restored in the 1970s .

In the 1990s, the roof was covered with galvanised steel sheets.

Description

The complex of the church of All Saints is situated in the eastern part of the village, between Szkolna street and the Ks. W. Blizińskiego street, on the axis of the road leading from Kalisz via Opatówek towards Turek. The road goes around the church, passing it on the northern side. A triangular yard with a monument to reverend Wacław Bliziński is situated in front of the church. The church is surrounded by the former church cemetery, circumscribed by a fence consisting of metal spans above a brick foundation, supported by brick posts. Sculptures of saints adorn the posts of both the main gate and the wicket gates. The main gate leading into the church cemetery is accessible from the square. From the east, the cemetery borders on the brick rectory building. An impressive building of the Cooperative Bank is located on the other side of the street.

Built in years 1899-1901, the church was designed in the English Gothic Revival style. The church is oriented towards the east; it was designed on a rectangular floor plan with a tower in the west. Its corps de logis follows a single-nave, five-bay design, while the chancel is a lower, single-nave structure with a pentagonal termination. The Chapel of the Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament adjoins the chancel from the north. The body of the church is compact in shape, with both the corps de logis and the chancel being framed by two-stepped buttresses. The tower, rising above the nave, is crowned with a slender, quadrangular spire with truncated corners, topped with an openwork crucifix.

The church is a brick building positioned atop a stone plinth. The church features exposed exterior brick walls, with the interior walls being covered with plaster and adorned with wall paintings. The gable roofs above the nave and chancel are clad with galvanised steel sheets, with the exception of the cupola crowning the steeple, where copper roof cladding was used instead. The interior of the nave features cross-rib vaulting supported by Tudor arches, the profiled arches of which, positioned between the individual bays, flow seamlessly into clustered engaged columns. The chancel is separated from the nave by a broad rood arch and features cross-rib vaulting which follows a hexapartite design above the end section of the chancel. The Chapel of Perpetual Adoration, the sacristy and the narthex underneath the tower all feature groin vaults.

Apart from the aforementioned two-stepped buttresses, the façades of the church feature a lavish assembly of exterior decorations, including various patterns arranged out of projecting bricks, an arcaded frieze, a profiled cornice as well as pinnacles and pointed-arch blind windows. The window and door openings are topped with pointed arches and accentuated by patterns achieved through a decorative arrangement of projecting bricks.

The interior features a uniform set of fixtures and fittings, including three Gothic Revival altars made by a man called Janicki - a craftsman from Warsaw. The main, wooden altar incorporates the image of the Virgin Mary of Częstochowa, while the side altarpieces feature a relief of the Holy Family and of Jesus the Merciful. Other notable interior features include the pulpit, the wooden baptismal font from 1908, the Stations of the Cross from 1904, made by the Szpetowscy company of Warsaw as well as the dual-voice church organ, confessionals, steeples and church bells.

The site is accessible to visitors. Viewing of the building is only possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the Kalisz diocese: www.diecezja.kalisz.pl.

compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 10-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Anders P., Województwo kaliskie, szkic monograficzny, Poznań 1983.
  • Rocznik Diecezji Kaliskiej - 2002, s. 168, Kalisz 2002.
  • Łęcki Wł., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
  • Kęszka Sł., Fenomen pracy narodowej i niepodległościowej księdza Wacława Blizińskiego w latach 1902-1918, [w:] Rocznik Kaliski, t. XXXVI, s. 77-96, Kalisz 2010.
  • Malkowski J., Wystawa etnograficzna w Liskowie (1927-1928), [w:] Rocznik Kaliski, t. XXXV, s. 194-202.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1899-1901
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Ks. Blizińskiego 6, Lisków
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district kaliski, commune Lisków
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area