Town hall, Lipiany
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

It is one of the few Neoclassical town halls in Western Pomerania. It is characterised by well-preserved body and façades; one of the façades adjoins a fountain from the 1930s depicting an extensive figural scene referring to the local history.

History

The earliest mention of the Town Council in Lipiany dates from 1339. It is most probably that the council had its own seat already at that time. According to the plans of 1700 and 1720, the town hall built on a rectangular floor plan was situated in the centre of the market square. A new town hall was built in the present location probably at the beginning of the 19th century; however, it was destroyed by fire in 1827. The building was set on fire by Ernst Gottlieb Richter, the then court usher, who wanted to hide the murder of Schulz, magistrate’s servant, and his wife. Between 1828 and 1829, the town hall was rebuilt to be used as the seat of the municipal court. In 1844, a turret with a clock was added to the roof of the town hall. A fire station was added to the rear façade of the town hall in the first quarter of the 20th century. A fountain depicting a figural scene was installed next to the side façade in the 1930s to commemorate the granting of the so-called drinking rights in Lipiany. In 1945, the town hall in Lipiany was taken over by the Polish municipal administration, and temporarily also by the administration of the Pyrzyce district. In 1964, the façade underwent renovation. In 2004, the building underwent complete renovation including the renovation of basements, façades, roof and turret. Replacement of the roofing was combined with the addition of new skylights. The coat of arms located in the tympanum of the front façade and the fountain underwent maintenance. A new clock was installed on the turret in 2007.

Description

The town hall in Lipiany is situated in the north-western frontage of the market square. The ,main façade faces the south-east. The building was designed in the Neoclassical style and erected on a rectangular floor plan. It has two storeys, a basement, and is covered with a gable roof with skylights, which is topped with an octagonal turret with a clock at the base, lantern with round-arched openings and a dome with a spire. It is built of brick, plastered, and set on a plinth made of split stone. The roof is clad with beaver tail tiles, and the turret with sheet metal. The façades are partitioned horizontally by string-course and crowning cornices. Each of the longer eleven-axial façades is partitioned by three faux avant-corps. The middle faux avant-corps of the main façade is three-axial; the avant-corps of the rear façade has one axis, and the side faux avant-corps have two window axes. The north-eastern gable-end façade has three axes, and the south-western façade five axes. The face of the façades is rusticated, with the exception of the faux avant-corps and the north-eastern wall. The main entrance is located in the middle of the front façade, and is surmounted by balcony with a decorative iron balustrade, resting on supports. The central part of the façade is crowned with a low triangular pediment with a cartouche bearing the crest of Lipiany carved in relief. The window openings are framed by profiled surrounds (except for the windows between faux avant-corps of the longer façades). The openings in the middle of the front façade highlight the corner side sections on the ground floor, and the cornices in the lintels on the first floor. A window sill cornice runs under the windows on the first floor in the parts of the main façades further back from the rest and the rear façade. A fire station with a tower were added to the rear wall in the 1930s. The central part of the north-eastern side façade features a recess (probably left over after the side entrance had been bricked up) framed by rusticated quoins and used as a background for the fountain adjoining the wall. The interior of the building features a two-and-a-half-bay layout with a hallway along the axis of the front bay and a staircase in the rear bay.

The fountain from the 1930s commemorates the granting of the so-called drinking rights in Lipiany. It was made of skelly limestone and placed in a recess in the middle of the north-eastern end façade of the town hall. It consists of a pentagonal pool, cylindrical body with the crest of Lipiany and basin having a semi-cylindrical shape decorated with a depiction of burghers, shown from behind, sitting on a common bench and feasting, carved in relief.

The structure can be visited during the opening hours of the municipal office.

compiled by Maciej Słomiński, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 25-11-2014.

Bibliography

  • „Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce”, seria nowa, tom XIII, woj. zachodniopomorskie zesz. 1, pow. pyrzycki. Opracowanie autorskie D. Bartosz, M. Słomiński, Warszawa 2013, s. 83-84

General information

  • Type: town hall
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: pl. Wolności 1, Lipiany
  • Location: Voivodeship zachodniopomorskie, district pyrzycki, commune Lipiany - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area