Town hall - Zabytek.pl
Leśna, Rynek 19
woj. dolnośląskie, pow. lubański, gm. Leśna-miasto
A representative example of an early modern public building in Silesia.
The town hall was erected in 1699, replacing an older building which had been lost to the blaze. It was subsequently extended in 1774 and then altered and modernised during the fourth quarter of the 19th century as well as in 1925. Renovation works on the building were performed in the late 20th/early 21st century.
The building is located in the town centre, in the middle of the market square. Designed on a rectangular floor plan, it is a two-storey brick and stone structure with a converted attic. The town hall has a compact shape and features a pseudo-avant-corps on its western side, crowned with a triangular tympanum; another avant-corps - a narrow, asymmetrical design - projects from the eastern façade and is adjoined by a single flight of steps leading alongside the said façade. The edifice is covered with a clipped-gable roof surmounted by an octagonal belvedere clad with sheet metal, which replaces a low turret which had once stood in its place. The façades are covered with plaster and feature rusticated quoins on the corners. Low roof parapets in the form of balustrades grace the top sections of the gables. The windows are predominantly rectangular in shape, adorned with profiled surrounds with plain window headers and sills. The vestibule features a barrel vault with lunettes; in the northern part of the building there is an entryway and the hall where the weighing scale used to be, each of them covered with a double-barrel vault. The rooms in the southern part of the building, on the other hand, feature a wooden ceiling dating back to 1709. Other original fixtures and fittings include the wooden beam used to suspend the weighing scale as well as the Baroque staircase balustrade adorned with a bellflower motif, dating back to the early 18th century.
The interiors may be explored during the opening hours of the Municipal Office.
compiled by Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 30-03-2015.
- Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 2 Pogórze Izerskie, Vol. I, M. Staff (ed.), Wrocław 2003, p. 395,
- Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 495.
Category: town hall
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_02_BK.75971