Filial Church of St Lawrence, Laskowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Filial Church of St Lawrence

Laskowice

photo

The church in Laskowice is an example of the 17th-century sacred wooden architecture. It boasts fine carpentry details and a Baroque decor. Surrounded by a cemetery with valuable historic tombstones and old trees, it is an important cultural element of the village.

History

According to the date on the rood beam, the church was erected in 1686. The supports of the rood beam exhibit two inscriptions indicating the date of subsequent renovations and names: RENOV.1856 KURDA (south support), RENOV.1958 LEMPIK (north support). The church was rebuilt in 1980. The south wall of the tower ground level was demolished and merged with the extended annex in place of the former, enclosed walkways. In 1998 the organ casing was dismantled and transferred, together with the instrument, to a newly built church. No serving as a cemetery chapel, the church belongs to the Parish of Our Lady of Sorrows in Tuły.

Description

The church is oriented towards the east; it is located on a small elevation at the west boundary of the village. It stands in the middle section of the cemetery overgrown with trees and surrounded by a fence with brick shrines added on the axis of each of the four sides. At the south-east section of the fence, there is a Great War Memorial devoted to the fallen local villagers and the main gate.

The temple is a single-nave structure with a narrower chancel terminating with a three-sided wall. On the north side, it adjoins a sacristy with a founder’s lodge on the upper level, accessible by the external staircase. On the west side, there is a tower on the plan of a square; an extended porch is in the west corner forming one interior space together with the tower ground level. The chancel and the sacristy with the lodge are of the same height; they are covered with a gable roof with the extended northern pane and a multi-pane termination. The roof over the nave is high and double-pitched. The other extensions are covered with lean-to roofs. The four-storey tower, reaching up to the ridge of the roof of the nave, is covered with a high, octagonal hipped roof with prominent eaves. Over the east part of the nave, there is a turret with a bulbous cupola with a lantern.

The church was built of wood in a log structure, on a low base. The tower is a post-and-beam structure. The walls are clad with vertical weatherboards; the roof is shingled. The window openings are topped with a full arch, and the doors are mostly rectangular.

The nave is covered with a flat wooden ceiling with profiles forming pseudo-coffer forms of different sizes; the smaller ones exhibit painted floral motifs, the larger ones have contemporary representations of the Madonna with Child Jesus with angels. False barrel vault over the chancel with flat ceiling sections at the sides; a similar vaulting, now blanked, is seen in place of the dismantled organ casing. The rood beam is profiled and rested on decorative corbels with imprinted inscriptions on completed renovations and repairs. The choir and gallery on the north wall are supported on wooden, spiral columns. The founder’s lodge over the sacristy has a varied shape: it is divided in half by a banister.

The church fittings were partially moved to a new church nearby. The architectural, Baroque altar dates from about the mid-17th century, the neo-Gothic pulpit, baptismal font and some of the paintings date from the 2nd half of the 19th century, folk crucifixes date from the 17th and 18th centuries. The tower bell was cast in 1606 by the workshop of Jakub Götz in Wrocław.

The monument is open to visitors. Viewing of the interior by prior telephone arrangement.

Compiled by Ewa Kalbarczyk-Klak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 03-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. VII, Województwo opolskie, z. 10: oleski,  red. T. Chrzanowski i M. Kornecki, s.13.
  • Emmerling D., Wierzgoń A., Opolskie kościoły drewniane, Opole 2006, s. 48.
  • Śląsk. Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce, oprac. zbiorowe, Warszawa 2006, s. 469.
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury: Kościół fil. p.w. św. Wawrzyńca, Laskowice,  oprac. J. Skarbek, 2001,  Archiwum WUOZ w Opolu.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Laskowice
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district kluczborski, commune Lasowice Wielkie
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area