Palace and park complex - Zabytek.pl
woj. lubelskie, pow. zamojski, gm. Łabunie-gmina wiejska
The design of the building is attributed to the eminent architects Chrystian Piotr Aigner and Fryderyk Bauman.
Along with the nearby village of Łabunie, Łabuńki remained a part of crown land until the mid-16th century; later on, it became the property of the Oleśnicki family, while during the mid-17th century it was acquired by Stanisław Firlej from Dąbrowica, the voivode of Lublin. From the late 17th century onwards the land belonged to the Zamoyski family; towards the end of the 18th century, Łabuńki was purchased from Jan Jakub Zamoyski by his nephew, count Michał Wielhorski, who later sold it in 1801 to Stanisław Grzębski of the Jastrzębiec coat of arms, the husband of Telka Stadnicka. The couple, who resided in Lviv on a permanent basis, most likely erected the palace in Łabunie for their daughter Teofilia, who completed the construction process after the year 1815, along with her husband Kajetan Karnicki, the chamberlain of the Imperial Court. Due to the impressive level of architectural artistry and sophisticated decorative plasterwork, it is believed that the palace was designed by Chrystian Piotr Aigner and Fryderyk Bauman, both of whom were renowned architects of the Classicist period. A landscape park was arranged around the palace, created by a landscape architect who was brought in all the way from Vienna. In 1873, the Łabuńki manor was sold to Teodor and Jadwiga Kaszowski, who later bequeathed it to their son, Zygmunt. After World War I came to an end, he sold the property to Jan Kołaczkowski. Following the nationalisation of the manor, from 1947 onwards the palace began serving a new purpose - namely that of a local school. Later on, the building was abandoned altogether and was slowly turning into a ruin. From 1998 onwards, the palace complex has been under the care of the Missionaries of the Precious Blood, who have made it their home and carried out various revitalisation works; the palace itself is currently being restored, while its outbuildings are already in use as a hospice and house of retreat.
The palace and park complex is situated on the western edge of the village, on the southern side of the road leading from Zamość to Tomaszów Lubelski. The palace itself stands in the central part of the park and is preceded by a courtyard flanked by two outbuildings, one of which had originally been a stable. Both the western outbuilding and the gate which facilitates access to the courtyard are modern reconstructions.
The Palace. The palace was designed in the Classicist style. The front façade of the building faces the north-east. It was erected on a rectangular floor plan as a two-storey structure with basements underneath parts of the building. The interior follows a two-bay layout with a hall and staircase positioned inside the shallower front bay, thus liberating more space for the representational rooms overlooking the gardens. The palace is a brick building, its walls covered with plaster. It features a compact body with a hip roof pierced by eyebrow windows and clad with sheet metal. The front façade follows an eleven-axis design and is preceded by a portico made up of two pairs of Tuscan columns in giant order, supporting an entablature with a triglyph and metope frieze crowned with a stepped gable which is currently being reconstructed. Beneath the portico one may admire a stucco frieze adorned with festoon and rosette motifs. The rear façade follows a nine-axis design and features a Tuscan colonnade spanning its entire length, supporting a terrace with a contemporary stone balustrade. The side façades and the front façade are all partitioned by flat string courses; the entire design is crowned with a profiled cornice with a dentil frieze which is currently being reconstructed. The corners of the palace are adorned with rusticated quoins. The windows are rectangular in outline, framed by profiled surrounds; the ground-floor windows feature an additional design flourish in the form of lintels with simple cornices. Inside the rooms on the ground floor, visitors may still admire the preserved decorative plasterwork, designed with notable finesse and consisting of crown mouldings, ceiling rosettes and supraportes.
The landscape park exhibits numerous features typical of the so-called Arcadian garden design. An alley lined with hornbeam trees leads from the main road towards the front façade of the palace, ending with an oval ornamental lawn and driveway. A sizeable lawn circumscribed by lines of trees stretches behind the rear façade, serving as an observation deck from which one may admire the extensive riverside meadows beyond.
Limited access to the historic building. The palace is currently undergoing renovation works.
compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 20-10-2014.
- Record sheet. Palace and park complex. Łabuńki, compiled by Studziński J., 1997, Archive of the Regional Office for the Protection of Historical Monuments in Lublin, Zamość branch; Archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw.
- Record sheet. Palace in the palace and park complex. Łabuńki, compiled by Studziński J., Pujszo E., 1997, Archive of the Regional Monuments Protection Office in Lublin, Zamość Branch; Archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw.
- Aftanazy R., Dzieje rezydencji na dawnych kresach Rzeczypospolitej, Vol. VI, Województwo bełskie, ziemia chełmska województwa ruskiego, Wrocław (…) 1995, pp. 315-320.
- Banasiewicz_Szykuła E., Niedźwiedź J., Szykuła B., Szykuła-Żygawska A., Dzieje miejscowości gminy Łabunie, powiat zamojski, Łabunie 2010, pp. 62-76.
- Wituski M., Pałac w Łabuńkach, “Biuletyn Historii Sztuki”, 1970, no. ¾, pp. 307-313.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_06_BK.4882