Manor house and grange complex - Zabytek.pl
woj. podlaskie, pow. wysokomazowiecki, gm. Kobylin-Borzymy-gmina wiejska
Most of the structures which had originally formed part of the complex have survived to the present times, their period character preserved intact despite the intervening alteration works. The complex possesses a significant landscape value due to its picturesque location in the vicinity of the Narew river.
The village of Kurowo was most likely established in the early 15th century, its population formed by Ruthenian settlers. In the early 16th century, the village along with the entire Waniewo estate was given by the king Sigismund the Old to Mikołaj Radziwiłł, the voivode of Vilnius. It was then acquired by the Olelkowicz ducal family; later on, its owners were the members of the Szczawiński and Kurzeniecki noble families. Between 1680 and 1832, it remained in the hands of the Orsetti family. The exact date of construction of the existing complex is unknown. It was most likely established in the second half of the 19th century, with the manor house itself dating back to the fourth quarter of the 19th century. In 1919, the complex remained in the hands of Franciszek Kołodziejski, who extended the manor house in the year 1920. In 1932, after Kołodziejski went bankrupt, the Kurowo manor was taken over by the Agricultural Bank. In 1936, the estate was seized purchased by Bolesław Zakrzewski and his wife Maria. During the period of the Soviet occupation, the former manor served as a kolkhoz (collective farm), while the manor house itself became an orphanage. After World War 2, the property was nationalised and a State Agricultural Farm (PGR) was established there. From 1988 onwards, the manor house has served as the offices of the Narew Landscape Park, which changed its name and status to the Narew National Park in 1996. In years 1992-1993, the manor house underwent renovation works, with the neglected park also receiving due attention.
The complex is situated on the western bank of the Narew river, near the Kurówka river mouth. The manor house itself does not possess any features that could serve as a clear indication of a particular architectural style; the park, on the other hand, bears the hallmarks of the Baroque Revival style.
The park consists of two distinct sections - the manor house and adjoining gardens, positioned on the Narew river bank, and the manor farm located north of the river. The brick manor house is surrounded by a park, with a perimeter wall with entrance gate serving as its northern boundary. The manor house itself consists of a single-storey section with a garret as well as a two-storey avant-corps and a tower graced by decorative crenellation. A walking path leading from the entrance gate to the gates to the Kurówka river harbour, across the ornamental lawn in front of the house, is positioned on the north-west - south-east axis. Vegetable gardens can be found north-east of the manor house; some of the original orchards located in the south-western part of the complex have also survived. Most of the trees are spruces, small-leaved lime trees, Norway maples and white chestnut trees; there is also a variety of shrubs, including common lilac, black elder, mock-orange and meadowsweet. A number of brick and stone utility buildings surrounding a rectangular yard from the east, the north and the west survive in the manor farm. These include the forge, the garage, the stable with carriage house and the pigsty; the barn, although still included in the register of monuments, is no longer extant.
The site is open to visitors.
compiled by Aneta Kułak, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok, 10-10-2014.
- Record sheet, Palace and park complex with manor farm in Kurowo, compiled by Jackiewicz-Garniec M., 1994, collection of the Regional Monument Inspector (Łomża Branch Office) and of the National Heritage Board of Poland.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, vol. IX: Województwo łomżyńskie, issue 2: Ciechanowiec, Zambrów, Wysokie Mazowieckie i okolice, compiled by Kałamajska-Saeed M., Warsaw 1986, pp. 52-53.
Category: manor house
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_20_ZE.16064