Holy Trinity Church - Zabytek.pl
woj. opolskie, pow. krapkowicki, gm. Strzeleczki-gmina wiejska
In the 19th century, the church houses the full-size wooden statutes of the founders and a crypt where they were buried.
Its interior features Renaissance wall paintings in the chancel, pulpit (ca. 16th century) - originally resting on a sculpture of St Christopher - and a late Baroque main altar with a painting by Sebastini.
The first mention of a wooden church in Kujawy come from 1447; the present brick church was founded by the Protestant owners of Kujawy - Balthazar Pückler von Groditz and his wife Polyxena in 1583. Somewhere in the mid-17th century, the church changes hands and becomes a Roman Catholic temple - its consecration took place at the end of the 17th century. In the period between 1679 and 1730, two side chapel were added, and during the renovation between 1936 and 39, the nave was extended and aisles were added. Also, the church tower was reconstructed according to the Renaissance model.
The church stands in Prudnicka Street in the centre of the village, on an oval square surrounded by a stone fence with two gates: a modern one on the east and a Renaissance one on the west. In the vicinity of the church, there is a 19th-century palace of the Tiele-Wincklers.
The church is oriented to the east. It was built on a rectangular plan with the nave slightly protruding towards the east and a short chancel with a three-sided termination. At the south wall of the chancel, there is the sacristy and the founder’s lodge above. At the height of the second bay of the nave, there are side chapels (St Barbara’s on the south side and St Joseph’s on the north side). On the west side, there is a quadrilateral tower.
The church is built of brick on a stone wall base, buttresses and plastered with the façades featuring framework decoration and rounds windows (in the aisles, chapels, and lower part of the tower) and windows terminated with full arches 9in the chancel and nave). Corbelled frieze is seen around the church under the crowning cornice. The body of the church is covered with double-pitched roofs (multi-pane over the chancel and side chapels) and a lean-to roof over the sacristy. The main dominant of the west façade is a quadrilateral, three-storey tower with arcades in the lower level, covered with a cupola with a lantern.
The nave and chancel are covered with barrel vaults with lunettes and a grid of stucco ribs. The vault of the chancel is decorated with Renaissance polychrome of 1595 (renewed and repainted in the mid-20th century) with grotesque and arabesque themes and medallions with the representations of angels with the Instruments of the Passion (Arma Christi). The polychrome of the nave fashioned after the Renaissance style with a stylized plant motif was added in the mid-20th century.
A significant element of the decor is the Renaissance pulpit decorated with bas-relief scenes of the life of Christ and Mary and the figures of the Apostles, and the late Baroque main altar with the Holy Trinity painting produced by Franz Sebastini in 1776.
The monument is available to visitors.
Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 05-01-2015.
- Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 6: Powiat krapkowicki, oprac. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1963, s. 17-18.
- Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, t. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg. Bezirks Oppeln, Breslau 1892, s. 302-303.
- http://www.zielina-kujawy.pl/historia_kosciola.htm (05.01.2015 r.)
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.16873, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.16013