Filial church of St Therese of the Child Jesus, currently serving as the parish church of St Therese of the Child Jesus - Zabytek.pl
Kruszwica, Rynek 7
woj. kujawsko-pomorskie, pow. inowrocławski, gm. Kruszwica-miasto
Stefan Cybichowski would often revisit these design principles when working on new churches, one of which was the church of St Therese in Kruszwica. Other related ecclesiastical buildings designed by the same architect are the churches in Ryczywół (1924-1925), Strzałkowo (1933) and Gołańcza (1931-1934).
After the year 1920, the decision was taken to begin the construction of a new church in Kruszwica. The arguments for the construction of a brand new place of worship included the difficulties facing those who wished to reach the collegiate church in Kruszwica, especially in spring and autumn, when the unpaved road became particularly difficult to navigate. In 1922, Stefan Cybichowski, an architect based in Poznań, came up with the design for the new church. The building was erected on the site of the now-defunct wooden church of St Clemens, demolished in 1828. All that remained of the old church was the bell, which was suspended in the belfry of the new church. The building was designed in a manner which facilitated its subsequent extension. The construction began in 1926, with the task of overseeing the actual works entrusted to Michał Kopański, a builder based in Kruszwica. The pained decorations were executed by Józef Jańczak. An official consecration ceremony took place on August 11, 1929. During World War II, the church served as a storage facility; the steeple surmounting the dome has been destroyed and would only be reconstructed in 2003. In 1984, primate Józef Glemp established the parish of St Therese of the Child Jesus, independent of the parish of St Peter and St Paul.
The church bears the hallmarks of a simplified variety of the Neoclassical style; the domed structure forms part of the eastern frontage of the market square, positioned among the surrounding tenement houses. The church is slightly receded vis-à-vis the rest of the frontage and separated from the street by a low, metal fence.
The building, designed on a rectangular floor plan, is positioned on the north-south axis, its compact, proportionate body covered with a dome with an openwork roof lantern.
The single-axial front (southern) façade is accentuated with a middle avant-corps incorporating the main entrance, preceded by a flight of steps. The doorway is framed with a narrow, plaster surround; a circular window adorned with a decorative surround with a keystone is positioned on the middle axis of the façade, above the entrance.
The northern façade was designed in a manner similar to its southern counterpart. The former main entrance into the church, positioned in the front façade, is now replaced by a tall, rectangular panel.
The western façade overlooking the market square incorporates another entrance, preceded by a broad flight of steps. The entrance is framed with a moulded, eared surround with a central keystone. A large, semicircular window is positioned above the entrance. The central section of the church is covered with a dome resting on pendentives.
The interior is a single, open space, with a distinct chancel and vestibule. Vaulted ceilings of the barrel type can be seen above the chancel and the organ gallery, with the underside of the dome lined with shallow coffers. A modern, decorative mosaic from 2007, depicting St Therese standing beneath the cross, can be seen inside the chancel.
The church may be explored before or after church service.
compiled by Agnieszka Wysocka, Historical Monument and National Heritage Documentation and Popularisation Department of the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Cultural Centre in Bydgoszcz, 26-11-2014 - 8-12-2014.
- Skuratowicz J., Architektura Wielkopolski w dwudziestoleciu międzywojennym, [in:] Sztuka dwudziestolecia międzywojennego. Materiały z sesji SHS, Warsaw 1982, p. 268.
- Record sheet, Kościół katolicki pw. św. Teresy od Dzieciątka Jezus, prepared by Wysocka A., 2006, Archive of the Regional Monuments Protection Office in Toruń/branch office in Bydgoszcz
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_04_BK.120273