Evangelical church, today the Roman Catholic Filial Church of Our Lady of Częstochowa, Krasowice
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Evangelical church, today the Roman Catholic Filial Church of Our Lady of Częstochowa

Krasowice

photo

One of the few surviving timber-frame churches, once very popular in this part of Silesia. It is set on the plan of a equilateral cross, with the pulpit as the most prominent element of the interior.

History

The Evangelical community built the church in 1620. It was renovated or rebuilt in 1852. Another renovation, the date is imprinted on the vane, was carried out in 1911 (a wall base was added and some interior painting). Until WW2, almost all the villagers were of Evangelical persuasion. After their displacement, the church was taken over the Roman Catholic parish in Przeczów. As part of the renovation work in the 1970s, the original shingle roofing was replaced with other materials.

Description

The church is located in the north edge of the village, among old trees, by a small cemetery. It has a frame structure filled with brick; it is built on a Greek-cross plan, with a three-sided termination of the chancel, two sacristies and a tapered bell tower from the west. A single-storey annex adjoins the nave from the north - it is a lodge open towards the interior of the church (plans to build a similar lodge on the south side failed).

The wooden structure of the walls is exposed and painted black; the brick panels are plastered; the façades of the tower are planked. Part of the old window joinery has survived featuring crown glass elements. There are wooden galleries in the transept arms; founder’s seats are present in the chancel. The Baroque equipment: main altar, pulpit, organ, and pews go back to the first half of the 18th century. The bell was cast in 1657.

The monument is available to visitors.

Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, z. 4: Powiat namysłowski, oprac. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1963.
  • Krasowice, kościół pw. MB Częstochowskiej. Karta ewidencyjna zabytków architektury i budownictwa, oprac. J. Skarbek, 2001, Archiwum WUOZ w Opolu.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1620 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Krasowice 18
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district namysłowski, commune Namysłów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area