Railway viaduct, Kraków
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

An example of industrial monument with outstanding artistic values. The only such structure in the Małopolskie voivodeship.

History

The railway viaduct over Lubicz Street was built in the years 1896-1898. The structure was the first two-level junction in Cracow. Until the viaduct was built, Lubicz Street intersected with railway tracks at a one level, which caused significant traffic disruption on a very important route to Mogiła. The investment was funded by the Austrian State Railways. Its specialists developed a technical design, and the architectural design was commissioned to an architect from Cracow, Teodor Talowski. In 2006, a full-scale modernisation of the viaduct was started. The works included renovation of the viaduct span, restoration of historic retaining walls, reconstruction of details and original colour of the balustrades. At the top sections of the stone piers electrical lanterns were installed, imitating the original gas lighting. The monogram of Emperor Franz Joseph was restored on the balustrade. Because the renovation required replacement of stone elements of the piers, the original plinths were exposed in the form of a "preparation", next to the stairs by the span of the viaduct.

Description

The structure is located over Lubicz Street, between the railway station building and Radziwiłłowska Street. It was designed by a well-known architect from Cracow, Teodor Talowski. It is made of sandstone and features metal balustrades. For the purposes of construction the surface of Lubicz Street was lowered and enclosed in retaining walls. The viaduct span is made of metal and rests on 16 stone columns arranged in the lowered section of Lubicz Street in two parallel rows. The retaining wall has a variable height, adjusted to the depth of the excavation. It was built from sandstone form Ciężkowice. The wall is strongly rusticated and partitioned with avant-corps along the line of which stone piers covered with skirt roofs were arranged over the wall. A the entrances to the stone stairs by the viaduct, there are stone columns which in their higher section were originally used as supports of gas lamp holders - the lamps (not preserved), as the other lamps illuminating the street in the lowered section, were designed by T. Talowski. On the both sides, stone stairs were built: on the southern side there are a two-flight stairs, and on the northern side (the side of the railway station) - one-flight, straight stairs with a platform and, also from the north, there are narrow stairs in two places, by which the railway colony (railway housing estate) can be reached. The forged metal ornamentation of the viaduct and the retaining wall was made by the company of Józef Górecki from Cracow (which made, among other things, the cross on the Giewont peak, and the gate to the Monastery on the Rock (klasztor na Skałce)). On the balustrade of the viaduct, there were originally monograms of Emperor Franz Joseph - the commissioning of the viaduct coincided with the 50th anniversary of his ascension of the throne.

The structure is accessible all year round.

compiled by Olga Dyba, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Krakow, 22-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Podkop na ulicy Lubicz w Krakowie. „Czasopismo Towarzystwa Technicznego Krakowskiego” 1898 nr 12.
  • Beiersdorf Z., Teodor Talowski. Charakterystyka twórczości, (w:) Sztuka 2. poł. XIX w. Warszawa 1973.

General information

  • Type: industrial architecture
  • Chronology: 1896-1898
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Lubicz , Kraków
  • Location: Voivodeship małopolskie, district Kraków, commune Kraków
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area