Castle - Zabytek.pl
Kożuchów, Klasztorna 14
woj. lubuskie, pow. nowosolski, gm. Kożuchów-miasto
The main attraction of the castle is its tower and building of the former chapel, which now serves as an auditorium. The castle is part of a defensive complex of the town and an important example of defensive architecture in the Lubusz region.
Kożuchów is one of the oldest towns in the Middle Odra Region. In the Early Middle Ages there was a fortified settlement here, which was part of the state of the Dziadoszanie tribe. The castle in Kożuchów was built by the Piasts of Głogów in the first quarter of the 13th century on the site formerly occupied by a fortified settlement, in the north-western part of the town. Its rectangular courtyard was enclosed with curtain walls built of erratic boulders and brick. A tower built on a square floor plan was located in the south-western corner, and the eastern part of the walls adjoined a rectangular multi-storey residential building. The whole complex was surrounded by a moat, which is the remains of fortifications. The castle was accessed by a drawbridge. It was incorporated in the district system, consisting of a double ring of ramparts built of erratic boulders. Since 1369 the castle is used as a ducal residence. In the 15th and 16th century the castle was a fief of Polish kings: John I Albert, Sigismund I of Poland, and Sigismund II Augustus. During this period a foregate extending beyond the face of the defensive walls was erected on the southern side of the castle.
In the 17th century the castle became a private property and is used as the seat of magnate families. Around 1685, ownership of the castle was passed to Carmelites who use it as their monastery. At that time the structure was completely altered to adapt it to its new function. Carmelites extended the castle by two new wings to the north and to the west. They also extended the gate building further to the east. This resulted in the creation of a four-wing complex with a square courtyard in the centre and a tower embedded in the western wing. The tower was extended upwards and topped with a roof. In 1705, the monks built a chapel adjoining the castle to the south-west. In 1810 the monastery of the Carmelite Order in Kożuchów ceased to exist. The municipality took over ownership of the monastery-castle and converted it to an armoury and made use of it for military purposes. In 1897, the local evangelical community acquired ownership of the building and built a larger church on the site formerly occupied by the chapel.
The castle was not destroyed during World War II. After the war it served as a residential building and also housed a local sports club. In the 1960s the structure was adapted to serve social and cultural purposes.
The castle in Kożuchów is located in the centre of the town at 14 Klasztorna Street, on a record parcel no. 310. The castle is surrounded by a relatively well-preserved dry moat. Currently, the castle has three two-storey wings covered with hip roofs. The tower, which is embedded in the west wing, extend beyond the roof only with one storey and is covered with a tented roof. Its Gothic origins are indicated by a partially preserved tower and walls in the castle cellars. The building features a square yard and is one of most interesting structures in the area of Kożuchów.
The castle is supervised by the ‘ZAMEK’ Culture and Sport Centre in Kożuchów. The monument is open to the public and is one of the main attraction for the inhabitants of the town and visitors to the Lubuskie Voivodeship. The building hosts numerous conferences and events.
Compiled by Krzysztof Słowiński, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 27-06-2014 r.
- Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010.
- Andrzejewski T., Zamek w Kożuchowie - postulaty badawcze, [w]: Lubuskie Materiały Konserwatorskie, t. 6 (2009), Zielona Góra 2009.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_08_BK.34181