Hospital church, currently the Roman Catholic filial Church of the Holy Spirit, Kożuchów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Hospital church, currently the Roman Catholic filial Church of the Holy Spirit

Kożuchów

photo

The Church of the Holy Spirit is a particularly valuable monument since it is the oldest and the only structure associated with the medieval hospitals in the region. The church built in the Gothic style has been preserved in almost unchanged condition.

History

The building was erected as a hospital church in the early 14th century. Originally it was a small structure, about the size of a present-day presbytery. Its reconstruction dates back to the first half of the 16th century - a lierne vault in the presbytery, which replaced a wooden ceiling, stems from that period. At the time when the church belonged to Protestants, i.e., between 1526 and 1653, it was extended by the current nave, covered with a ceiling. Probably in the second half of the 17th century two side entrance openings were made and windows, which originally terminated in pointed arches, were installed in the south-facing wall. In 1964, 1979 and 1992 the facade underwent renovation.

Description

The church is situated with its roof ridge parallel to the road, in a densely built-up area of the northern frontage of 1 Maja Street, behind the town walls. The structure is oriented. It was built in the Gothic style.

The building is made of fieldstone and brick, with a single-nave body on a rectangular floor plan, which adjoins a presbytery, also built on a rectangular floor plan, with stepped fastening buttresses. The northern wall of the chancel is adjoined by a rectangular sacristy. The body of the church consists of two parts, featuring a wider and narrower nave body. The nave is covered with a gable roof with a hip end, the presbytery with a gable roof, and the sacristy with a shed roof. The roof of the building is covered in ceramic tiles, ‘beaver tail’ tiles. The church's interior is covered with a net vaulting over the chancel, a barrel vaulting with lunettes over the sacristy and a wooden ceiling over the nave. The facades are covered with plaster, with the exception of the eastern gable and buttresses, pierced by windows which terminate in semi-circular arches and pointed arches and are larger in the presbytery section than in the nave. The eastern facade is crowned with a triangular gable filled with blind windows. The church features Baroque and regency fixtures and fittings, including the main altar, ambo, plafond depicting the Coronation of Mary on the ceiling over the nave, organ gallery.

The historic site is open to visitors. Viewing of the church is only possible by prior telephone arrangement.

Compiled by Marta Kłaczkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 01-10-2014 r.

Bibliography

  • Karta ewidencyjna, Kościół filialny pw. Św. Ducha, oprac. Kowalski S., Adamek K., Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Zielonej Górze
  • Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t 2, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 267.
  • Kowalski S., Zabytki architektury województwa lubuskiego, Zielona Góra 2010, s. 166.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: pocz. XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: 1 Maja 34, Kożuchów
  • Location: Voivodeship lubuskie, district nowosolski, commune Kożuchów - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area