Kozłówka - Palace and Park Complex - Zabytek.pl
woj. lubelskie, pow. lubartowski, gm. Kamionka-gmina wiejska
Fontana, is undeniably the most magnificent residence in the Lublin region. It adeptly combines 18th-century Baroque features with alterations introduced at the turn of the 19th century. The best surviving example of an aristocratic residence in Poland retains the authenticity and fidelity both of its historic interiors and its surroundings. The excellent condition of the palace and park complex and the maintenance of its buildings and gardens have been recognised with numerous awards and distinctions.
In 1799 Franciszek Bieliński sold Kozłówka to Aleksander Zamoyski, 11th Ordynat (hereditary owner) of the Zamość estate. After Aleksander’s death (1800) the property passed to his sister, Anna Sapieżyna, who sold it to her nephew, Jan Zamoyski, in 1836; however, it was his son, Konstanty (who received Kozłówka as a wedding gift) who was the first to fall in love with the residence. In 1903 Kozłówka became an entailed estate. In 1879-1907 the palace was rebuilt in Neo-Baroque style and the Neo-Baroque chapel was modified (based on the chapel at Versailles); a theatre, a second outbuilding and an entrance gate were also added. The chapel as well as the Regency and Rococo style ceilings were designed by the Warsaw architect Jan Heurich the Younger. Completion works continued until 1911, the interiors being refurbished with Neo-Rococo and Neo-Regency marble fireplaces, Meissen tiled stoves and decorative oak flooring. To this day the palace interiors retain their architectural layout, décor and authentic furnishings from the turn of the 19th century.
The rooms at Kozłówka are full of fine furniture, such as marquetry-embellished cabinets decorated with bronzes (possibly designed by François Linke), a suite of furniture from the Paris-based company Maison Jansen which once furnished the chapel, items made by Warsaw furniture companies, and solitary examples of Gdańsk furniture, including wardrobes from the turn of the 17th century. The collection of paintings, sculpture, prints and drawings, although not outstanding, nonetheless features some interesting pieces, e.g. the Death of Chodkiewicz in the camp at Khotyn painted by Franciszek Smuglewicz, a drawing by François Gérard of Zofia Zamoyska with her sons, and a bust of Andrzej Zamoyski by Marcel Guyski (1869). Artistic handicrafts are represented by porcelain from the factories of Meissen and Sèvres, crystal glassware from the French Baccarat glassworks, gilded glassware adorned with the Zamoyski coat of arms, and jewellery, including a gilded dragon-fly and an agate figurine of a wild boar (made by C. Fabergé). Other items of interest include mechanical music playing devices: a late 19th-century Italian Piano Melodico, and an early 20th-century American pianola or organola built by the Ludwigsburg-based Walcker company. An assemblage of over 1500 reels of classical music for pianola and organola is the richest collection of its type in Europe. The interior décor evokes the atmosphere of the former aristocratic residence at the time of its greatest splendour under the 1st Ordynat, Konstanty Zamoyski (1846-1923). This is probably Kozłówka’s greatest asset - it reflects the everyday life of the aristocracy in its final phase, evidencing their tastes and preferences.
Today Kozłówka is a museum; the former coach-house is now home to Poland’s only Gallery of Socialist Realist Art, accompanied by a number of statues located outdoors. The park combines compositional and natural beauty drawing on its historic 18th-century design. A French Baroque garden with hundreds of carmine roses hemmed in by box borders has been recreated in the park’s central section. Romantic woodlands cover the northern area, with blocks of lawn in the south. The park also features a romantic tomb - a memorial to Napoleonic soldiers. The neighbouring Kozłów Landscape Park emphasizes the connection between architecture and the local natural environment.
Category: residential comlpex
Protection: Historical Monument
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_06_PH.8437