Hillfort, Kozłów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl
photo

Based on the archeological finds made during surface surveys, researchers have concluded that the origins of the hill fort date back to the Late Middle Ages (14th-15th c.).

Location and description

The hill fort, known locally as ‘The Mountain of Queen Bona’ (‘Góra Bony’), is located at the eastern end of the village, in the immediate vicinity of the road. It is situated on the edge of the valley of the Rudnia stream, on its left bank.

The landform of the hill fort in Kozłów has remained intact. It has the shape of a conical mount with quite steep slopes and is about 8 m in height. The hill fort is surrounded by a moat which is up to 10-20 m wide and partly filled with water. Its flat maidan is about 35 m in diameter. The area of the hill fort is now a wooded wasteland.

History

Based on the archeological finds made during surface surveys, researchers have concluded that the origins of the hill fort date back to the Late Middle Ages (14th-15th c.).

Condition and results of archaeological research

The hill fort was known as early as the late 19th century. The Geografical Dictionary of the Kingdom of Poland (pol. Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego) mentions that the hill fort is topped with identifiable “remains of a castle”. Inventory research and verifications of the hill fort were carried out in 1959. In 1991, the hill fort was registered during the surface surveys carried out within the framework of the “Archaeological Picture of Poland” project.

Excavations, involving the taking of clay out of the mound, have revealed large quantities of fragments of ceramic vessels and lumps of pugging. This was used as a basis for concluding that the hill fort dates back to the Late Middle Ages.

The hill fort is located near an asphalt road running through Kozłów, in the area of land being private property.

Compiled by Agnieszka Oniszczuk, National Heritage Board of Poland, 22.09.2014 r.

Bibliography

  • Mikulski J., Grodzisko koło wsi Kozłów pod Parzynowem, w pow. siedleckim, „Przegląd Archeologiczny”, Vol. 8, Yearbook 24-25, 1948-1949, pp. 333-334.
  • Musianowicz K., Granica mazowiecko - drehowicka na Podlasiu we wczesnym średniowieczu, [in:] Materiały wczesnośredniowieczne, vol. 5, Warsaw 1960, pp. 187-230.
  • Pyrgała J., Kozłów, gm. Parysów (d. pow. Garwolin), woj. siedleckie, [in:] Grodziska Mazowsza i Podlasia ( w granicach dawnego województwa warszawskiego), collective work, Wrocław -Warszawa -Kraków -Gdańsk 1976, pp. 71-72.

General information

  • Type: hillfort
  • Chronology: XIV-XV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kozłów
  • Location: Voivodeship mazowieckie, district garwoliński, commune Parysów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area