Chapel of St Anne, Kowary
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A Late Baroque chapel from the 1st half of the 18th century, designed by the renowned Silesian architect Kaspar Jentsch.

History

The building was originally erected in 1727, based on the design by Kaspar Jentsch and replacing an earlier chapel which was destroyed during the Thirty Years’ War. The chapel underwent restoration in years 1976-78, 1980-82 and towards the end of the 20th century.

Description

The chapel is located in the south-eastern part of town, at the top of the so-called Chapel Hill, on the southern side of the street, some distance away from the neighbouring buildings. Designed in the Baroque style, the chapel is a brick and stone building designed on an elliptical floor plan. It is covered with a conical roof topped with a bulbous cupola with an octagonal lantern. Towards the east there is a low sacristy annex designed on a square floor plan, covered by a separate, three-sloped roof. The façades of the building are covered with plaster, with a profiled crowning cornice providing the finishing touch. The large windows, topped with semicircular arches and adorned with stone surrounds, are positioned in the upper parts of the walls. An austere main entrance portal is located in the northern part of the building. The interior features a cupola ceiling. The building still retains much of its original Baroque fittings dating back to the 18th century, including the painted altarpiece from 1765, the pulpit, the collection of paintings (some of which are attributed to Johann Lorenz) as well as a number of epitaph plaques and old headstones.

The church is only used occasionally. The interiors are inaccessible. For more information, please contact the parish office.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 24-06-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 5 Rudawy Janowickie, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 1998, pp. 158-159
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 439.

General information

  • Type: chapel
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kowalska 41, Kowary
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district jeleniogórski, commune Kowary
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area