Manor house complex, Korzeniów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The complex consists of a manor house, a park and a shrine and constitutes an example of a manor complex - a type of estate once common in the Podkarpackie voivodeship; its distinctive feature is the pleasing, harmonious silhouette of the manor house itself - an embodiment of a Polish manor house built in the Classicist style.

History

The manor complex was originally established in the mid-17th century. The manor house in Korzeniów was built towards the end of the 18th century and received a Classicist remake in the first half of the 19th century. Its owners were Adam Pohlman, Kazimierz Wilczyński, Szloma and Chawa Linde and Berisch Maschler. In the late 1920s, Jan Steczkowski, who served as the minister of the treasury at that time, donated the manor to the Jagiellonian University, which in turn sold it to count Zgurniak. The last owner of the manor was the oil industry entrepreneur Leopold Szerauc, who lived in Korzeniów until 1937; following his death in 1943, he was buried in the vicinity of the shrine located near the northern boundary of the park. After World War II came to an end, the manor was used as an agricultural secondary technical school; later on, in 1953, it began to serve as a primary school - a function which it fulfilled until recently In the 1980s, the manor house was restored and its interiors adapted to the needs of the primary school which operated there; it was at that point also that the dormer windows were installed in order to provide additional illumination of the attic rooms. Following the relocation of the school to a new building, the manor house has stood empty for a couple of years.

Description

The complex consists of a brick house, a park and a shrine; it is located in the southern part of the village, on the eastern side of a local road leading from Straszęcin to Przecław, on a plane inside the broad Wisłoka river valley. The manor borders on a road in the west and is surrounded by arable fields. The manor house stands in the central part of the surviving complex, which also includes a number of ponds, the largest and most impressive of which is situated in front of the house.

The manor house was built on an elongated rectangular plan. The cuboid structure is covered with a two-tier hip roof (an arrangement also known as the “Polish roof”), with small dormers covered with gable roofs set into three sides of the roof. The front facade is enlivened by the presence of a portico which features a giant order colonnade. The portico is covered with a traverse gable roof. The single-storey building is made of brick, its roofs clad with roof tiles. The front (western) facade of the manor house has nine axes and follows an asymmetrical design, with a colonnaded portico positioned on the axis of the building, flanked by two dormers. The portico precedes the main entrance into the building; above the entrance, on the first floor level, there is a terrace circumscribed with a simple metal balustrade. The ground floor windows feature simple, plain window surrounds. The triangular pediment of the portico is adorned with a semi-circular window set atop a cornice. The facade overlooking the garden (the eastern facade) follows a nine-axis design and features a row of two garret windows flanking a glazed door leading to a first-floor terrace; this arrangement is additionally flanked by two dormer windows. The ground floor window surrounds and the flat pilasters with capitals positioned between the garret windows provide an element of decoration. The southern facade features three axes in total, while the north facade is a two-axis facade with a side entrance. All corners of the manor house are accentuated through the use of quoins, with a relatively flat string course running around the perimeter of the building. The interiors retain period features in the form of the original staircase, a fireplace and two decorative tiled stoves.

The manor house is surrounded by a landscape park. The front facade of the manor house is accentuated by the presence of an oval pond, with the remaining reservoirs located in a ravine east of the house as well as in the western part of the park. The park features a surviving old growth of trees as well as a 19th century shrine located in the north-western part of the park, its form resembling that of a small house. The shrine was built on a rectangular floor plan and features a hip roof clad with wood shingles. It is a brick structure with plastered walls and an arched entrance.

The manor house is now used as a school, with parts of the park serving as school grounds and the rest being private property.

Compiled by Barbara Potera, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Rzeszów, 27.08.2014.

Bibliography

  • Karta ewidencyjna, oprac. Łyżka R., 2003, archiwum Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Rzeszowie.
  • Libicki P., Dwory i pałace wiejskie w Małopolsce i na Podkarpaciu, Poznań 2012, s. 179, 180.
  • Polakowski S. Pozostałości założeń dworskich województwa podkarpackiego, Krosno 2012, s. 56, 57.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: k. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Korzeniów
  • Location: Voivodeship podkarpackie, district dębicki, commune Żyraków
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area