Manor house complex, Konary
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

An example of the so-called “manor style”.

History

The village of Konary until the 16th century was owned by many knights; in the 15th century there were thirteen local land-owning noblemen, owning one lan of land each. Many of them signed documents with the name Konarski. In the 2nd half of the 19th century, 3 of 4 local land properties were owned by the Grabowski family, including Feliks Grabowski, hence the manor house buildings in Konary are called “Grabowski manor house complex”.

In the end of the 19th century, Felicja Malinowska was mentioned as the property owner. In the late 1920s, two estates were present here: of Franciszek Giza (165 ha) and of Ignacy Lesikowski (55 ha), called Kopań.

Little is known about the history of the manor house and other buildings.

We do not know the name of the designer or the principal. The manor house building was erected in 1920s, perhaps in the place of an earlier one (on Josephinian maps from 1779-1783, an organised complex of buildings is visible in this region, as well as a couple of small ponds). Concurrently with the manor house, a small park and garden complex were created. In post-war years, until 1952, the complex housed an agricultural school, and then the property was owned by the Agricultural Production Cooperative “Zgoda”. At that time, renovation works were carried out, and the interiors were adapted for office purposes. The manor house is inhabited, and the gate house is used only associationally. Both building are very neglected. Only the most necessary repairs are carried out in them, which do not require significant financial outlays. The manor house is currently offered for sale. In the former manor farm areas, there is currently an active large pigsty which generates odour and enormous amounts of insects, very burdensome to the locals.

Description

The manor house complex is located on the southern slope of one of the hills of Wieliczka Foothills, at the southern outskirts of the village, by a local route. In order to reach the manor house, you should turn north into a local road to Lusina approximately half the way between Świątniki Górne and Mogaliny. After driving approx. one kilometre, you will pass the stream Krzywica and enter a lime alley which separates the manor house and park section from the former manor farm. On the western part of the alley, there is the gatehouse, manor house, and the park, and on the east, there is the manor farm with surviving granary and cowshed.

The manor house is a wooden villa. It was built on a rectangular floor plan, with an avant-corps in the southern façade and a glazed recessed gallery from the north. It is a single-storey building resting on a high basement whose external walls are clad with regular sandstone ashlars, and large rectangular basement windows are framed by brick surrounds.

The walls of the ground floor are made of wood on a log structure. They are covered with horizontal white-painted weatherboards. In the middle part of the southern façade, there is a three-axis avant-corps housing the main entrance (currently not used), with windows with semi-circular top sections on the sides. The entrance can be reached by concrete stairs widening downwards, with a concrete balustrade. In the roof part of the avant-corps, there is a glazed surface topped with a triangular gable. The northern façade has a similar shape: over a slightly receded glazed gallery housing the entrance to the manor house, there is a surface with a triangular gable. The manor house is covered with a high mansard roof housing a loft. In the lower surfaces of the roof, there are high windows allowing more light to the loft premises—with semicircular arches from the south, and rectangular in the remaining façades.

The gatehouse has the form of a mountain cottage. It is a single-storey building, with a single-bay layout. The roof covering the small loft is of abutment type with dormers.

The cowshed is a single-storey building. It was built on an elongated rectangle floor plan and covered with a gable roof. The granary, with a basement, was built on a rectangular floor plan and features pronounced eaves on the front side.

There are gaps in the fencing of the manor house and gatehouse buildings (damaged mesh on metal post, usually opened gate). The buildings are accessible from outside. The manor farm part is not accessible, and it is tightly fenced. The gate and fencing circumscribing it is made of sheet metal. The rest of fencing is made of mesh, and directly behind it, thick greenery prevents looking inside.

compiled by Grzegorz Młynarczyk, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Krakow, 01-07-2015.

Bibliography

  • A.B.Krupiński, Karty ewidencyjne zabytków, Kraków 1990
  • P.Libicki, Dwory i pałace wiejskie w małopolsce i na podkarpaciu, Poznań 2012, s.176

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: 2. poł. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Konary
  • Location: Voivodeship małopolskie, district krakowski, commune Mogilany
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area