Sheepfold, currently a barn, Kołbacz
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

It is a unique example of a Gothic utility (livestock) building connected with the Post-Cistercian monastery complex in Kołbacz. The structure retained its original architectural form and layout and décor of brick façades with buttresses and pointed-arch blind windows. The building bears testimony to the economic power of the local monastery, which played an important role in the development of the economy in West Pomerania

History

The building was built in the first half of the 14th century and originally served as a sheepfold of the Cistercian monastery. At that time, in addition to the “claustrum” area, other utility buildings were built, including barns, stables, granary, brewery, slaughterhouse, bakery, dairy, and forge. In 1432, the monastery was looted by the Hussites, and in 1478 it was largely destroyed by the Brandenburg troops. As a result of the Reformation, the monastery was dissolved, and in 1537 the estate was converted in a ducal domain. Until 1637, the post-monastery complex served as a residence of the Dukes of Pomerania. Between 1637 and 1653, it was the domain of a Swedish queen, then it was acquired by the Brandenburgers, and finally it was the domain of the state. In the late 18th and early 19th century, new buildings were erected on the sites formerly occupied by medieval buildings. The 1844 plan included a Gothic sheepfold which served then as a barn. Probably in the 18th century, the barn was rebuilt; the new building featured half-timbered gables and elevated gateways; at that time, brick vaulting was removed. After 1945, the barn, just like the entire post-monastery complex, was used by the State Agricultural Farm, then by the Institute of Animal Husbandry. The roof covering of the barn was replaced (thatch was replaced with roof tiles).

Description

The sheepfold - barn is located in the centre of the village, on the north side of Warcisława Street and a monastic church, in the back section of a utility yard, between the former manor house and an administrator’s house. The building offers a large space, is Gothic in form, and is characterised by its Gothic façade décor. It is built on an elongated and buttressed rectangular floor plan, measures 48 m by 17.5 m, and has two gateways on a short axis. The building has a compact body, one storey, one space, and is covered with a tall gable roof (originally a half hip roof). The walls are built of ceramic bricks, feature a monk bond, and are not plastered; the gables are half-timbered (timber-framed) with brick infill and beamed. The roof rests upon a wooden purlin roof truss. The roof is clad with beaver tail tiles laid in a fish scale-like pattern. The façades feature the original arrangement, accentuated by the regular layout of buttresses and a brick detail. The façades of the long walls have eleven spans and two axes, while the gable-end façades have three spans and no axial partitions. The southern façade and both side façades are divided by pointed-arch (two-level) arcaded blind windows and are pierced by slits. The interior features two passages and three mows separated by a low structure made of beams.

The structure can be viewed from the outside, from the adjacent farmyard. Viewing of the interior is only possible by arrangement with the owner.

compiled by Waldemar Witek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 14-05-2015.

Bibliography

  • Kalita-Skwirzyńska K., Stanecka E., Kołbacz. Zespół poklasztorny w okresie od XVI do XXI wieku. Historia i współczesne przekształcenia oraz problemy konserwatorskie, w: „Zachodniopomorskie Wiadomości Konserwatorskie”, R. II, 2007.
  • Radacki Z., Zabytki Kołbacza, [w:] Kołbacz. Przeszłość i teraźniejszość, red. L. Turek-Kwiatkowska, Szczecin 1979, s. 66-79.
  • Wehrmann, P., Kloster Kolbatz und die Germanisierung Pommerns, Pyritz 1905.

General information

  • Type: utility building
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XIV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Warcisława 1, Kołbacz
  • Location: Voivodeship zachodniopomorskie, district gryfiński, commune Stare Czarnowo
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area