Evangelical church, currently: Roman-Catholic Filial Church of St Anne - Zabytek.pl
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. czarnkowsko-trzcianecki, gm. Wieleń-obszar wiejski
It is a valuable testimony to the multicultural heritage of Greater Poland.
The village of Kocień Wielki was officially established based on German law in 1630. The first church in the village is mentioned in historical documents dating from 1611. During the period of the Partitions, the village bore the name “Gross Kotten” and was mainly inhabited by Evangelicals. The timber-framed church which has survived to this day was erected in 1843 (according to other sources — in 1844). It was founded by Karol Muske, owing to the efforts of the pastor Edward Schmidt. The church was renovated in the years 1904-14 (e.g. the tower underwent major modifications). After 1945, the building was taken over by the Catholic Church. The church was dedicated to St Anne on 26 December 1946. Since 1957, it has been a filial church of the Parish of Our Lady of the Rosary in Dzierżążno Wielkie. Renovation works on the church have been carried out since the 1970s.
The church is located in the central part of the village, on the north-east side of a local road leading to a road connecting Wieleń with Trzcianka. The church is oriented towards the east (and rather substantially towards the north). The area surrounding the church (a former graveyard) is enclosed partially with a new chain-link fence (with the old two-door gate made of decorative forged bars). The aisleless church has a rectangular floor plan. The chancel, not individuated in the body of the building, terminates in a flat wall on the north-east side. Inside the church, by the chancel, there is a sacristy and a small storeroom. The square tower, partially merged with the body of the church, is situated on the south-west side. The church is covered with a tall gable roof. The entire building is dominated by the three-storeyed tower having a porch at the ground floor level, topped with a conical tented roof crowned with a sphere and a cross.
The church has a timber-frame structure with brick infill, resting on a stone wall base. The interior walls are covered with plaster. The lower storeys of the tower, constructed in the years 1904-1914, are made of brick. The top storey has a timber-frame structure. The church and tower roofs are covered with sheet metal. Inside, there is a wooden ceiling covered with particleboard.
The design of the exterior walls is based on the contrast between the dark timber frame and the red brick infill (the wooden structural elements are additionally protected with boards). The rectangular windows are framed by simple wooden surrounds. The front (south-west) façade of the tower, faced with red brick, is topped with a simple cornice resting on brick corbels. On the central axis, there are steps leading to the rectangular main entrance with a semi-circular fanlight headed by a brick arch. Above, at the second level — there are two bell openings with louvres, topped by brick arches. At the top level, there are rectangular bell openings with louvres.
Inside, there is a wooden ceiling covered with particleboard. Wooden galleries, supported by posts, run along the side walls and the wall adjoined by the tower. The church still has some of the original Renaissance Revival fittings from the mid-19th century, including a reredos and a pipe organ. The main altar incorporates a modern painting of St Anne teaching Mary.
The church may be visited from the outside and — by prior arrangement — also inside.
More information, including the Holy Mass schedule, is available on the website of the Koszalin-Kołobrzeg Diocese: www.koszalin.opoka.org.pl
compiled by Krzysztof Jodłowski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 03-12-2015.
- Brykowski R., Wielkopolskie kościoły drewniane, Poznań 2001, s. 151
- Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, koncepcja, teksty i wybór fotografii P. Maluśkiewicz, Poznań 2004, s. 118.
- Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. V, z. 18: powiat trzcianecki, Warszawa 1966, s. 6.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.160160, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.62261