Palace complex, Kobylniki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

One of the largest palace complexes in the entire region, designed in the eclectic style and notable for its excellent state of preservation.

History

From the 17th century until somewhere around the mid-18th century, the village of Kobylniki remained in possession of the Kobelnicki family, bearers of the Rola coat of arms. In 1750 or thereabouts, the manor remained in the hands of Roch Kortowski, while after 1789, the entire village was acquired by the Schwanenfeldt family. A written mention of the village dating back to 1855 contains references to Emma Schwanenfeldt-Wilamowitz, its erstwhile owner. From the second half of the 19th century until 1945, the manor remained the property of the members of the von Wilamowitz-Möllendorf family. In the year 1900, the old, Baroque residence which had existed there until that time was replaced by a monumental palace, designed in the eclectic style, which was erected at the initiative of Hugo Friedrich Wilhelm von Wilamowitz-Möllendorf, who also established an expansive landscape park featuring numerous picturesque groves surrounded by ponds and meadows. After 1946, the estate was taken over by the State Treasury. Today, the palace serves as a hotel and a restaurant.

Description

The building was erected using red, glazed brick. It is a two-storey edifice with a habitable attic, its silhouette highly irregular in shape. One of the most prominent features of its sophisticated design is the projecting middle section featuring a three-storey, rectangular tower reminiscent of a medieval gatehouse, rising above the entrance preceded by an arcaded porch with a balcony. The coats of arms of the owners of the palace are displayed on the tower façade, a few metres below the tower clock positioned at the very top of the structure. The stairs leading up to the main entrance are flanked by a pair of stone lion sculptures positioned on brick plinths. The door leading out into the garden is positioned between the side avant-corps projecting out of the garden façade and preceded by a balustraded terrace. A cylindrical staircase turret adjoins the northern wing of the palace. The main body of the edifice is covered with a tall hip roof. A complex of late 19th-century manor farm buildings is situated along the north-western boundary of the park; these include the gardener’s house, the greenhouse, the stables, the cowsheds, the granary and the distillery. An old, single-storey brick palace erected at the turn of the 19th century can be found in the western part of the complex.

The main park alley, lined with lime trees and positioned on the middle axis of the palace, leads from the nearby road to the palace itself. The lengthy view corridor is emphasised by an expansive meadow surrounded by tall vegetation as well as by the circular driveway in front of the palace. The park itself, established in the 19th century, has a total surface area of about 15.4 hectares and features a preserved original layout of walking paths which has changed little since 1890. The diverse assortment of trees includes a number of exotic species, although the most heavily represented varieties are small-leaved linden, common maple, field elm and common spruce, with plantings of those trees accentuating the layout of the paths and surrounding the lush, expansive meadows. The old, highly diverse tree plantings are supplemented by newly planted specimen, positioned so as to fit harmoniously with the original composition of the park. Another notable feature is the system of water bodies, consisting of two ponds interconnected by a canal and surrounded by tall vegetation.

The building is open to visitors. Viewing of the structure is only possible by prior telephone appointment.

compiled by Krzysztof Bartowski, Historical Monument and National Heritage Documentation and Popularisation Department of the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Cultural Centre in Bydgoszcz, 10-12-2014 - 19-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Chrzanowski T., Kornecki M., Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce. vol. 11,Województwo bydgoskie. issue 8, Powiat inowrocławski. Warsaw 1974
  • Parucka K., Raczyńska-Mąkowska, Katalog zabytków województwa Bydgoskiego. Bydgoszcz 1997,
  • Kaja R., Przewodnik po zespołach pałacowych i dworskich, Bydgoszcz, 2002.

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 1900 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kobylniki 2
  • Location: Voivodeship kujawsko-pomorskie, district inowrocławski, commune Kruszwica - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area