Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Nicholas, Kierzno
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Nicholas

Kierzno

photo

The church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Nicholas is a hybrid post-and-beam/log structure covered with weatherboards on the outside. It is an example of a rural wooden church typical of this region. Its form is typical of the churches of southern part of Greater Poland which were designed on a Latin Cross floor plan. It represents wooden architecture characteristic of the Silesian school of the 17th and 18th centuries.

History

The first church in Kierzno is believed to have been in existence in the 14th century.

During both the 16th and 17th centuries, the church remained in the hands of the Bohemian Brethren.

The existing church was erected in the 17th century, once the site was taken back from the Brethren.

From the early 17th century until 1978, the church remained a filial church of the Myjomice parish.

The separate parish in Kierzno was established in 1978.

The church was first restored in 1871.

In 1948, the building was subjected to comprehensive restoration works once again.

Another series of renovation works was carried out in years 1999-2000; these works entailed the partial replacement of the roof truss and the installation of a sheet metal roof. The exterior weatherboarding was replaced and the necessary preservation works were carried out. A procession path running around the church was created.

Description

Kierzno lies at a distance of 7 kilometres to the north-east from Kępno. The church is located in the centre of Kierzno, near the junction of the Olszowa-Doruchów road and the Myjomice-Wieruszów Podzamcze road. The church, oriented to the east, is situated on flat terrain, its transverse axis running alongside the access road. The church is surrounded by the former cemetery, designed on a quadrilateral plan, circumscribed with a wooden fence erected after 1945 and supported by brick posts; the yard around the church is accessible from the west, through a large gate and a smaller wicket gate. A brick funerary chapel is located north-east of the church. A school and sports grounds are located in the direct vicinity, north of the church, with rural dwellings located towards the south and west.

The village of Kierzno was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1266, in connection with the payment of the tithe to the bishop of Wrocław. The first church in Kierzno is believed to have been erected back in the 14th century. A local parish, encompassing just one village, is known to have existed here in the 16th century. During both the 16th century and the early 17th century, the church remained in the hands of the Bohemian Brethren. Once the building was reclaimed by the Catholic Church, it formed part of the parish of St Joseph in Myjomice until 1978. In 1978, the parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Nicholas was recreated .

The church is oriented to the east. The building features a log structure, with the exception of the tower, which is a post-and-beam structure; the exterior walls are covered with weatherboards. The chancel features a polygonal termination; it is adjoined by a sacristy on the northern side. The nave is slightly taller and wider than the chancel. The western tower, designed on a square floor plan, is clearly distinct from the rest of the building, rising high above its corps de logis. The building was erected on a Latin Cross floor plan. The broader nave with two chapels in the south and north serves as the transept, opening towards the other nave through large arches. The church roofs are covered with sheet metal. The steeple above the nave features a Baroque shape. The tower in the west is a two-storey structure topped with a bulbous cupola with a lantern and features slightly tapering walls. Inside the church, there is a false barrel vault, reaching the same height in both the nave and the chancel. The other parts of the church feature flat, beamed ceilings. The rood beam features a carved inscription which reads “AM.../H EC ECCLE SIA ES … EXSTRUCTA AD 1771...”. A Baroque sculptural ensemble depicting the crucifixion is positioned above the rood beam. The wooden choir gallery is supported by two posts dating back to the first half of the 19th century. The interior fixtures and fittings include the Late Renaissance main altarpiece from the 1st half of the 17th century, featuring Baroque paintings which have been substantially modified over the years; other notable interior features are the Rococo side altarpieces from the late 18th/early 19th century as well as Late Renaissance altarpieces. The pulpit and the baptismal font date back to the 1st half of the 19th century.

The building is accessible from the outside. Viewing of the building is only possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the parish and the Kalisz diocese: www.diecezja.kalisz.pl

compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 04-03-2015.

Bibliography

  • Maluśkiewicz P., Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004.
  • Anders P., Województwo kaliskie, szkic monograficzny, Poznań 1983.
  • Rocznik Diecezji Kaliskiej - 2002, Kalisz 2002.
  • Łęcki Wł., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Ruszczyńska T., Sławska A. (red.), t. 5, z. 7 pow. kępiński, s. 9, Warszawa 1958.
  • Janiszewski Józef ks., Powiat kępiński z mapą powiatu na podstawie różnych źródeł, Kępno 1928.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kierzno
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district kępiński, commune Kępno - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area