Tenement house, Kielce
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

Tenement house from the first decade of the 20th century, representative example of eclecticism, important structure in among the buildings in the area of the main artery of the city centre.

History

The property is located in the city centre, on the corner of Mała and Sienkiewicza Streets. The older is Mała Street which, like Duża Street parallel thereto, originally ran from the market square of the chartered town towards the collegiate church, now the Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Marry. After the town fire in 1800, the first attempts were made to correct and more densely build up the area along the streets. A short link between Duża Street and Mała Street was created at that time. New Konstantego Street (now Sienkiewicza Street) was created by extending that link according to the regulatory plan of the town dated 1823. Regulations and adjustments made one of the large rectangular squares on the west side of Mała Street a corner plot with a broader front from the new street.

In 1823, the square belonged to Mistakiewicz and was already built up with a masonry one-storey house.

In the 1860s, the corner estate was built up with two small houses facing Mała Street that were owned by Michał Żelichowski (son of Mikołaj), printer, first president of the local Cyclists’ Association.

One of them houses a goldsmith's shop of Żakowski; the other one was called “Pod Obrazem” (English: “Under the Painting”), since a statue of St. Nicholas was placed in the niche of the house. A garden extended from the area behind them to the buildings of the Ludwik’s Theatre (now the National Theatre). Around 1905, the corner square was purchased by Teodor Kłodawski, participant in the January Uprising, former exile, son-in-law of local wealthy merchant Degelman. Since 1907, he was the director of the Credit Society of the Town of Kielce. The free part of the square was built up with a three-storeyed tenement house in 1906-1908, which was located between the former house of Żelichowski and the Ludwik’s Theatre. Four years later, the houses of Żelichowski underwent upward extension by adding a further floor and giving them the architect form preserved to this day. The designer of the three-storeyed tenement house is unknown.

In 1909, the tenement house housed the Royal café described in “Kielce Newspaper” (“Gazeta Kielecka”); and since 1911 it was occupied by a dairy of Feliks Majcher. The Kłodawski family has retained ownership of the property to this day.

Description

The tenement house is situated in the centre of Kielce, on the front of a shallow rectangular square in a densely built-up area of the northern frontage of H. Sienkiewicza Street, between the Stefan Żeromski Theatre of almost the same height and a lower corner building. The three-storeyed building is side-gabled and located in an area sloping towards the west. The structure has a basement underneath some of its sections, is built of brick, and covered with a gable roof. The entire architectural decoration is concentrated, like in most of tenement houses, only on an eleven-axial symmetrically arranged front façade.

The central part and outermost axes are accentuated with rusticated shallow avant-corps with segmental-arched pediments, surmounted by attics. The high ground floor is distinguished by rustication and was designed to serve commercial purposes from the very beginning. The two upper storeys are characterised by eclectic décor evident in alternative pediments of the window surrounds, which were alternately straight and triangular in shape, cornices, of which the crowning cornice rests on corbels. The building has a two-and-a-half-bay interior layout. The part of the building facing a street features only one entrance located in the centre, through the main staircase; two rear staircases facing the backyard served as the so-called “kitchen stairs” (for servants).

The interiors feature the relics of the former décor including stuccowork, tile stoves, some joinery, ceramic staircase floor, cast iron stair railings.

Visitor access: Selected rooms used for various purposes, including service and commercial purposes, can be visited during the opening hours.

compiled by Anna Adamczyk, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Kielce, 12-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • “Gazeta Kielecka” 1907, no. 38; 1909, no. 64; 1911 no. 34; 1912, no. 57.
  • Adamczyk J.L., Rynek w Kielcach. Przekształcenia przestrzenne i zabudowa mieszczańska Kielc lokacyjnych w XVII-XIX wieku, Kielce 1993, 107-108.
  • Adamczyk J.L., Wróbel. T., Kielce portrety zabytków, Kielce s. 2008, p. 46.
  • Kosierkiewicz D., Ulica Sienkiewicza. Studium historyczno-urbanistyczne m. Kielce. PP PKZ Kielce 1990, p. 46 (typescript) in Archives of Regional Monument Inspector for Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship.
  • Pycia J., Nad Silnicą, Kielce 1938, pp. 271, 275.
  • Urbański K., Miklaszewska H., Sentymentalne Kielce. Fotografie ze zbiorów Muzeum Narodowego w Kielcach, Kielce 2004, p. 13.
  • Wrońska-Gorzkowska R., Gorzkowski E., Album Kielecki. Starówka. Ulica Henryka Sienkiewicza, Kielce 1996, p.73 et seq.

General information

  • Type: tenement house
  • Chronology: 1906-1908 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Sienkiewicza 30, Kielce
  • Location: Voivodeship świętokrzyskie, district Kielce, commune Kielce
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area