Middle-class tenement house, currently a commercial and residential building, Kielce
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Middle-class tenement house, currently a commercial and residential building

Kielce

photo

One of the older tenement houses at the chartered Kielce market square, erected on the foundations (basements) dating probably from before 1814. The small scale of the built-up area and the shape of the plot of land document the status of the built-up area characteristic of the early 19th century.

History

The property is situated on the southern frontage of the chartered Kielce market square, in the quarter between parallel Duża Street and Mała Street. The earliest mention of the developed property dates back to 1789. The property was occupied by a wooden house of innkeeper Marcin Wróblewski. The house survived the town fire of 1800, and a few years the next owner, Jan Grzywaczewski, paid tax on the house in the market square, after the Wróblewski family. Grzywaczewski demolished a wooden house and built a new masonry single-storey house with three rooms, three kitchens, shop and chamber, two cellars, two stables and two pigsties before 1814. Over time, the rectangular plot was enlarged by the square at Mała Street, taking on a shape similar to that of the letter “L”. Since 1832, the Malinowski family and the Gwoździowski family closely related to the Malinowskis were the subsequent owners. Before 1845, the front part underwent upward extension involving the addition of a floor. As a result of the alterations a small narrow side-gabled tenement house was erected on the frontage, on a rectangular floor plan, with a two-bay interior layout. It had a small vaulted gateway, which adjoined two rooms arranged in an enfilade to the west. The first room featured a barrel vault and housed a confectionery, the second room was used as a storage. The first floor consisted of a three-room flat with a kitchen. The gable roof of the building was clad with wood shingles. The area to the west of the courtyard in the back of the tenement house was occupied by a one-storey single-bay outbuilding with chambers arranged in an enfilade. The outermost chamber adjoined the tenement house and housed a billiard room, whereas the central chamber housed a bakery baking confectionery. Around 1865, there was a fire, after which the tenement house was rebuilt and altered. In 1866, the property was occupied by two houses owned by Tomasz Malinowski, including a multi-storey facing the market square and a one-storey house facing Mała Street. According to a photograph from the second half of the 19th century, the three-axial front façade of the tenement house adjacent to the market square was pierced by two rectangular entrance openings. The first floor in the central part featured a balcony. In the late 19th century, the property was purchased by Strosberg who probably extended it upwardly by a floor above the outbuilding. Between 1992 and 2000, the buildings underwent alterations involving replacing part of the wooden ceilings and adapting the ground floor for use as a shop. In 2010, earthworks revealed relics of the basements beneath the market square, which once belonged to that property and mark the line of the land development in the 18th century.

Description

The tenement house is located in the centre of Kielce, on the southern frontage of the Market Square, in a densely built-up area between Duża Street and Mała Street. The house is side-gabled just like the neighbouring buildings. It was built of crushed rock gravel and brick, using lime mortar. The wing of the western outbuilding in the back of the tenement house adjoins the multi-storey cylindrical front part covered with a gable roof. Two chambers covered with barrel vaults form the basement. The façades are plastered. The décor of the narrow three-axial façade is limited to simplified crowning entablature and segmental cornices over the windows on the first floor. The building underwent significant alterations; the layout of the ground floor interior consists of two bays with a narrow hallway along the east side and is similar to the original state.

The part for customers is open to visitors during the opening hours of the shop.

compiled by Anna Adamczyk, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Kielce, 17-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • National Archives in Kielce, files of the Insurance Directorate, ref. no. 133, pp. 307-316.
  • Record sheet. House with outbuilding. Tenement house, prepared by Olgierd Chojnacki, Kielce 2004, Archives of the Office for the Protection of Historical Monuments for the Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship in Kielce and Archives of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw.
  • Adamczyk J. L., Rynek w Kielcach. Przekształcenia przestrzenne i zabudowa mieszczańska Kielc lokacyjnych w XVII-XIX wieku, Kielce 1993, p. 31, fig. 15.
  • Urbański K., Miklaszewska H., Sentymentalne Kielce. Fotografie ze zbiorów Muzeum Narodowego w Kielcach, Kielce 2004, p. 18.

General information

  • Type: tenement house
  • Chronology: przed 1814 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Rynek 15, Kielce
  • Location: Voivodeship świętokrzyskie, district Kielce, commune Kielce
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area