The building of the former steward and laundress house, along with the plot - Zabytek.pl
Kielce, Zamkowa 7
woj. świętokrzyskie, pow. m. Kielce, gm. Kielce-gmina miejska
Within the complex of bishops of Cracow in Kielce — apart from the residential part — there were utility facilities supplying the court and including, among other things, brewery, distillery, and manor farm where cattle, pigs, and poultry were held. The house of steward — a person responsible for the livestock number and supplies of the manor farm, and laundress — providing laundry services for the bishops, was built ca. in 1730. The construction was initiated by bishop Konstanty Felicjan Szaniawski (died 1732), and finished by his successor, cardinal Jan Lipski. The two-bay, single-storey building, extended along the north-south axis, is erected between the great stable complex and the pond, by the manor farm and brewery dating back to at least 16th century. The building was adjoined with a narrow southern gable wall to the defensive walls running latitudinally and separating the bishops' complex from the south: among other things from the vegetable garden adjoining it (currently a park). The northern end section of the building protruded into the current Zamkowa Street. A characteristic division of the rectangular structure into two sections in its central part at a slight angle could be a result of the intention to adjust it to the older buildings (to use, for example, the western section of peripheral walls as a western wall), or to the traffic network. Its long western façade with the adjoining brick gate closing Zamkowa Street constituted the face of the bishops' complex from the west. It was given the shape of a single outbuilding covered with a high roof, and housed two separated, regularly arranged flats, each with a hall, kitchen with a chimney, and a small basement. The laundress' section also featured a drying room, and the steward's section — a writing room. Before the 1788, the steward's section was extended to the south, and to the east of that section, steward outbuilding [in Polish: okoły prowentowe] were constructed, or utility facilities (the area to the south from the manor house of Zieliński). In the 1789, the house of steward and laundress, as other post-bishopric property, was taken over by the State Tresury. Before 1821, the gate in Zamkowa Street was dismantled and its clearance was widened, which resulted in the necessity to dismantle the top section of the laundress part of the building. In the mid-19th century, it housed an office of a salt warehouse and a flat of a salt steward. In 1876, the building was converted into a custody of Magistrate Courts (and from that time on, it belonged functionally to the prison complex on Wzgórze Zamkowe). Since 2005, it has been the seat of the Contemporary Sacred Art Gallery, and was thoroughly renovated and adapted for that purpose.
The building is located at the foot of the south-western slope of Wzgórze Zamkowe, on the southern side of Zamkowa Street which separates it from the former granary and castle brewery. From the east, it borders the complex of the Zieliński palace, and from the west — a park. Its gable wall faces the street, and the long front façade is turned to the west. In front of the façade, there is a small trapezoid courtyard surrounded by stone walls. The style-less building is made of stone, features basements in some part, one storey and a loft. It was built on a plan of an elongated rectangle broken at an angle, with two suites of rooms separated by two former halls. During the last renovation, the building was covered with a high, stepped gable roof, with garrets from east and west. In two rooms, historical vaults are preserved (a barrel vault and a groin vault). In front of the entrance, a small terrace is added with staircase and a balustrade. Visitor access: The building is open to visitors. It houses active Contemporary Sacred Art Gallery (www.dompraczki.pl).
Compiled by Anna Adamczyk, 15.12.2014.
- Adamczyk J. L., Przewodnik po zabytkach architektury i budownictwa Kielc, Kielce 1998, pp. 41.
- Adamczyk J. L., Wzgórze Zamkowe w Kielcach, Kielce 1991, pp. 80, 84, 171, 179, ryc. 45, 51, photo 38-39.
- Ciosek U., Modras J., Polanowski L., Prace w zabytkowych zespołach rezydencjonalnych, [in:] Cedro J. (ed.), Prace konserwatorskie w woj. świętokrzyskim w latach 2001-2012, Kielce 2014, pp. 94.
- Kuczyński. J., Kielecka rezydencja biskupów krakowskich, [in:] Rocznik Muzeum Narodowego w Kielcach, vol. 15, Kraków 1990.
- Lewicki J., Badania architektoniczne domu pisarza prowentowego i praczki w Kielcach, Kielce 1998, mps w zbiorach Archiwum Świętokrzyskiego Wojewódzkiego Konserwatora Zabytków.
Category: residential building
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_26_BK.69138, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_26_BK.19337