Parish Church of St Joseph the Bridegroom of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Zabytek.pl
Kicin, Szkolna 4
woj. wielkopolskie, pow. poznański, gm. Czerwonak-gmina wiejska
Preserved in its original form, with fittings from the 18th century, the church boasts genuine Rococo wall paintings. Jan Kochanowski was the titular parish-priest of the church in the years 1564-74. The church is one of the objects along the “Trail of Wooden Churches Around the Zielonka Forest”. Every year, a Passion and Resurrection Play is held in the church.
A local parish in Kicin was mentioned in written records for the first time in 1405. The church was governed by the Poznań cathedral chapter, where parish-priests were appointed by canons. In the years 1564-74, the parish-priest of the local parish was the most prominent poet of Polish Renaissance, Jan Kochanowski. It was probably then that the first Parish Church of St Joseph was built in the village. The next church, dedicated to All Saints, was dismantled in 1749 under a decision of Józef Tadeusz Kierski, suffragan bishop of Poznań, who in 1751 founded a new church on that site, dedicated to St Joseph the Bridegroom of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The church was consecrated in the following year. Four bells were also consecrated during that ceremony: “Józef” [Joseph], “Nepomucen” [Nepomuk], “Stanisław” [Stanislaus], and “Wawrzyniec” [Lawrence]. In 1830, the graveyard surrounding the church was moved to a different place. The church tower, destroyed in 1852, was reconstructed in 1863. During World War II, the church served as a storehouse. The building was renovated many times: in 1902, the roof covering was changed from wood shingles to slate; in 1903, the flooring was replaced; in 1931, new interior wall paintings were executed. The original wall paintings were uncovered in the years 1966-67; they were restored by the artist Teodor Szukała. The weatherboards were replaced in 1980. In 2004, the old sacristy was replaced with a new, larger sacristy. In the years 2008-2010, conservation works were carried out on the church interior. In 1985, a new bell tower was erected by the church. It contains three bells which used to hang in the church tower.
The Parish Church of St Joseph the Bridegroom of the Blessed Virgin Mary, accompanied by a rectory, is located in the centre of the village, within the area of a former hillfort.
The church is oriented towards the east. It has a rectangular floor plan. The chancel, narrower than the nave, terminates in a semi-hexagon. On the west side, there is a square tower with a porch. The building is also adjoined by a small porch on the south side and a sacristy on the north side. The main body of the church is covered with a gable roof; the chancel has a multi-pitched roof; and the tower is topped with a tall pyramid hipped roof. All roof planes are covered with slate.
The building has a wooden log structure. The tower has a post-and-beam structure. The façades are covered with vertically-positioned weatherboards made of larch wood. The rectangular, segmental-arched windows are framed by profiled surrounds.
The church has one nave (with no aisles), separated from the chancel with a chamfered rood beam. It has a simple flat ceiling. The walls are adorned with beautiful Rococo paintings with garland motifs. The Rococo fittings of the church include a main altar from the mid-18th century incorporating a painting of Mary with Child from 1687, which is a copy of a painting from Gostynin from 1540, a pulpit, a baptismal font, and three founder’s pews. There are also two Baroque Revival side altars. The painting of Our Lady of the Snows from c. 1620-1630, hanging over the entrance to the sacristy, deserved particular attention.
The church is open to visitors. More information is available on the parish website: www.parafiakicin.pl
compiled by Radomiła Banach, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 22-10-2015.
- J. Łukaszewicz, Krótki opis historyczny kościołów parochialnych w dawnej diecezji poznańskiej, Poznań 1858, t. I, s.416.
- Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, koncepcja, teksty i wybór fotografii P. Maluśkiewicz, Poznań 2004, s. 110.
- Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. V, z. 20: dawny powiat poznański, Warszawa 1977, s. 12-13.
- J. Kowalski, Podróż do dwunastu drewnianych kościołów, Murowana Goślina 2008, s.111-122.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_30_BK.163254, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_30_BK.41817