Post mill, Kazimierz Dolny
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

One of the few surviving structures of its kind in the Lublin region, the windmill dominates the surrounding landscape in the area around Mięćmierz and remains a direct link to a local tradition of windmill construction in this area.

History

The post mill was erected somewhere around the year 1911, originally forming part of the village of Osiny. In 1975, it was relocated to Mięćmierz Okale and positioned atop an elevated part of the surrounding terrain where, according to both historical accounts and a 19th-century watercolour painting of the area by Kazimierz Stronczyński, a number of similar structures had once stood. Owing to the efforts of its owners, Maria and Ryszard Dziadosz, the structure of the windmill remains intact, with the only part that was added at a later date being the sails. In years 1975-1982, the interior was adapted to serve residential purposes. In 1997, the owner of the mill designed and constructed an external staircase. From 2002 onwards, one of the co-owners of the windmill is Maria Warszawska, who in 2013 opened a seasonal café known as “Pod Skrzydłami” (Underneath the Sails) inside the building.

Description

The structure is located on an elongated, rectangular plot of land at the south-eastern edge of the village, in the vicinity of the nearby nature reservation. Standing atop a tall escarpment of the Vistula river, the windmill towers above the surrounding area while at the same time also serving as an observation deck which gives a commanding view of the river breaks and the Janowiec village.

The windmill was designed on a rectangular floor plan. It is a three-storey structure, covered with a gable roof with a jerkin head. The windmill is a post-and-frame structure positioned on brick foundations, with the original central post (known also as the king post) positioned atop a trestle. The gable roof features a jerkin head on the sail side and is clad with wood shingles. The walls are covered with vertically positioned weatherboards. The front façade features an overhanging gable clad with decorative weatherboards and featuring a fretwork decoration resembling a pelmet. The main entrance is located on the ground floor level, with the modern external staircase leading to the upper storeys of the windmill. The four sails of the windmill, reconstructed in the modern times, are positioned on the rear (windward) side of the structure.

The interiors, adapted for residential purposes, still feature parts of the orginal fixtures and fittings.

Accessible from Tuesday to Sunday between 9 AM and 4 PM

Exceptions: January 1 (New Year), Easter Sunday, Corpus Christi (until 1 PM), November 1 and November 11 and December 25 (Christmas Day).

compiled by Anna Sikora-Terlecka, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin.

Bibliography

  • Nestorowicza Z., Kazimierz Dolny. Przewodnik po mieście i okolicach, Lublin 2014, p.
  • Teodorowicz - Czerepińska J., Kazimierz Dolny. Monografia historyczno-urbanistyczna, Kazimierz Dolny 1981, p.

General information

  • Type: windmill
  • Chronology: 1911 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Męćmierz 10, Kazimierz Dolny
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district puławski, commune Kazimierz Dolny - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area