Granary, currently disused, Kazimierz Dolny
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The so-called Feierstein Granary belongs to a group of unique granaries constructed back in the 17th century, their characteristic feature being the presence of decorative gables reminiscent of Northern Mannerist architecture, with a sprinkle of local tradition added for a good measure. Today, the granary remains a valuable addition to the overall layout of the northern part of town.

History

The former granary building was most likely built somewhere around 1615, its owner being Krzysztof Przybyła. The edifice remained in the hands of his successors in title until somewhere around the mid- 18th century. Later on, the granary was acquired by Michał Mniszech and then, in 1772, by Paulina Jabłonowska. In 1827, the building was purchased by Adam Jaraczewski, who later sold it to Józef Krasiński around 1835; a mere three years later the granary changed hands yet again, this time coming into possession of Mejer Wilf Feierstein (Feuerstein). The new owner immediately began alteration works on the building, extending it upwards by one storey and adding an external flight of wooden steps. During the interwar period, the building was adapted to serve as a tannery. During World War II, the building has suffered some serious damage, including the partial destruction of its roof. In years 1947-1948, the building underwent a series of revitalisation works under the supervision of Karol Siciński. The process of comprehensive restoration has begun, with the changes introduced in 1838 being removed. In 1959, the building was acquired by the State Treasury. It was then adapted to serve as a purchasing centre and warehouse of the “Gardener” Regional Gardening Cooperative in Nałęczów. A further series of renovation works began in 1983 once the building was acquired by its new owner - the Vistula Riverside Museum.

Description

The building is located on Puławska street; along with the neighbouring building known as the Ulanowski Granary, it marks the course of the former frontage of the so-called Gdańskie Przedmieście street (also known as Bochotnickie Przedmieście). The front façade of the building faces the north-west, towards the Vistula river. The building represents a local variant of Northern Mannerism.

Designed on a rectangular floor plan, the building is divided into two storage chambers with a transfer annex positioned on the axis of its front façade. The building itself is a two-storey structure with a basement, covered with a gable roof with brick gables. The annex, reaching all the way to the base of the front façade gable, is covered with a shed roof. The building is made of limestone, its walls covered with plaster; all roofs are clad with roof tiles. The façade is divided into three levels and follows a four-axial design, topped with a triangular gable, the two middle axes of the façade being obscured by the annex. The gable, clearly distinguishable from the rest of the façade and partitioned by pronounced cornices into three distinct levels, features an ornamental coping adorned with volutes and pinnacles. In the very centre of the gable are two embedded panels; the upper one, vacant today, originally bore the date “1838”, while the lower one carries the hierogram of Jesus Christ. The façades, topped with a cornice and narrow skirt roof, are pierced by a number of windows, some of them rectangular, other taking the form of narrow slits.

The ground floor level of the annex features an arcade composed of semi-circular arches with a barrel vault above, the latter featuring intersecting lunettes. The entrances to the building are topped with segmental arches. The corners of the building, originally supported by buttresses, are now accentuated by faux sgraffito quoins, as are the major openings in its façades.

The building can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Anna Sikora-Terlecka, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 24-03-2015.

Bibliography

  • Husarski W., Kamienice renesansowe w Kazimierzu Dolnym, Lublin 1950, pp. 123-124
  • Kazimierz Dolny. Przewodnik po mieście i okolicach, Z. Nestorowicz (ed.), Lublin 2014, pp. 233-234
  • Architectural monument record sheet. The Feierstein Granary, compiled by J. Teodorowicz-Czerepińska, Kazimierz Dolny 2003, Archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw, Archive of the Regional Monuments Protection Office in Lublin
  • Teodorowicz-Czerepińska J., Kazimierz Dolny. Monografia historyczno-urbanistyczna, Kazimierz Dolny 1981, pp. 45-46
  • Teodorowicz-Czerepińska J., Rozpoznanie historyczne tzw. Spichlerza Feirsteina w Kazimierzu Dolnym, Lublin 1985, typescript available at the Archive of the Regional Monuments Protection Office in Lublin, file no. 150

General information

  • Type: utility building
  • Chronology: 1615 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Puławska 60, Kazimierz Dolny
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district puławski, commune Kazimierz Dolny - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area