Palace - Zabytek.pl
woj. zachodniopomorskie, pow. pyrzycki, gm. Przelewice-gmina wiejska
The small village of Karsko was founded in 1817, together with the local feudal estate, which was established by the owner of the adjacent properties in Żukowo, August Peter Friedrich Sigismund von Schöning, Pyrzyce district administrator, on peasant’s land taken over after the enfranchisement reform. After the founder’s death in 1858, both properties passed into the hands of his two nephews, Carl and August von Schöning from Żalęcino. Since 1865, the properties remained in exclusive possession of August von Schöning, and after the dynasty form Żalęcino became extinct, ownership of the land passed to the branch from Lubiatowo.
In 1884 and 1892, Hermann von Schöning from Lubiatowo was mentioned as the owner; therefore, it was he who ordered the construction of the palace in 1889 which has been preserved to this day. At the beginning of the 20th century, two side annexes with avant-corps were added on both sides of the vestibule in front of the main entrance. In the 1920s and 1930s, the northern corner of the dining room was enlarged by adding an avant-corps from the side of the courtyard. Impressive utility buildings were built in front of the palace in the 1890s and 1990s. Karsko remained in possession of the von Schöning family until the end of 1920s. Gustav Karow is mentioned as the owner in 1939. After 1945, the property was taken over by a State Agricultural Farm (PGR), and since around 1991 it belonged to the Żuków-Karsko Self-Government Agricultural Farm headquartered in Karsko. In 1994, the property was sold to a private agricultural company. Since then, the palace has been used as the seat of the farm office and the residence of the owners. Between 1999 and 2000, the palace underwent complete restoration. The restoration involved replacing utility systems and roofing, renovating the interior, altering a garden terrace, where new granite stairs were built, replacing window joinery with new one featuring the old form, renovating door joinery, and adding decorations made of wrought iron, such as stair and terrace balustrades, gratings in the fanlight of the main door, or chandeliers. The park underwent revalorisation.
The palace is situated on the axis of the access alley, running perpendicularly from the main village road towards the south-west, through the vast farmyard, where numerous utility building dating back to the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century are located. A park stretches from behind the palace, from the south-west, to the shore of the Płoń Lake. The shorter façade of the palace with the main entrance faces the south-east, whereas the longer façades face the utility yard and park. A circular driveway with flowers is located in front of the main entrance.
The palace is characterised by its modest eclectic design reminiscent of the utilitarian brick architecture with features common to Gothic Revival buildings. It was built on a rectangular floor plan and features an octagonal tower in the western corner from the side of the park and avant-corps closed off on three sides at the remaining three corners from the side of the longer façades. The most pronounced feature is the avant-corps in the corner from the south, followed by shallower avant-corps of the corner annexes from the south-east, arranged symmetrically with respect to the vestibule with the main entrance. There are stairs in front of the terrace from the side of the park. The multi-storey body of the palace with a basement is covered with a low hip roof. One-storey three-sided avant-corps and the vestibule were crowned with terraces, and the three-storey corner tower is topped with a pyramid dome with an octagonal base.
The palace is a brick building not plastered and built on a foundation made of split stone. The roofs are clad with beaver tail tiles.
The effect of vividness of the façades was achieved by contrasting the red brick face of the façades with articulation features made of yellow brick, having the form of horizontal strips and panels. The smaller of them run around the perimeter of the façades of both storeys at the level of window sills (except for the northern avant-corps); the bigger one are placed between the windows of the ground floor. The façades are partitioned horizontally by socle, string-course and crowning cornices together with the dentil frieze running below, as well as window sill cornices. Window and door openings are topped with segmental arches, with the exception of the staircase window overlooking the yard and topped with a semi-circular arch. The shorter façade to the south-east is symmetrical, three-axial and features the main entrance in the middle of the ground floor. The original door joinery with decorative forge gratings dating from the construction times (reconstructed fanlight) has been preserved to this day. Above the central window of the first floor is the inscription “1889”. The centre of the eight-axial garden façade is marked by the two-axial faux avant-corps, preceded by a covered terrace with stairs and topped with a triangular gable. The interior of the palace features a two-and-a-half-bay layout. The drawing room with the preserved original fireplace dating from the 1930s is located in the southern corner on the ground floor. The first floor can be accessed via a half-turn staircase with granite stairs, situated at the eastern corner from the side of the yard.
Private property. Viewing of the structure is only possible by arrangement with the owner.
compiled by Maciej Słomiński, , Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 11-19-2014.
- „Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce”, seria nowa, tom XIII, woj. zachodniopomorskie zesz. 1, pow. pyrzycki. Opracowanie autorskie D. Bartosz, M. Słomiński, Warszawa 2013, pp. 40-43
- Słomiński M., Budownictwo rezydencjonalne powiatu pyrzyckiego [in:] Zamki i rezydencje na Pomorzu - polsko-niemiecka konferencja, Szczecin 29-30. VI.2006, p. 126
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_32_BK.112531