Palace ruins, Kamionna
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.


The Baroque redesign of the palace in Kamionna is believed to have been the work of Christoph Hackner, an architect from Wrocław known, among others, for designing the Hatzfeldt palace in Wrocław as well as the church of the 11 Thousand Virgins.


The building - currently in a state of ruin - has started its life as a Gothic residential tower which was subsequently extended (most likely in 1571) at the request of Konrad von Seidlitz, thus becoming a two-storey moated manor house consisting of four wings surrounding a rectangular courtyard, with arcaded walkways on both levels. Later on, in years 1740-1744, the manor house was redesigned in the Baroque style; the architect responsible for the remodelling of the mansion was most likely Christoph Hackner, who acted at the request of the building’s erstwhile owners - Franciscus Alexander Augustus von Kalckreuth and his wife Maria Elisabeth Schmerhowsky von Lidkowitz. The resulting changes made to both the general outline and the façade detailing have transformed the manor house into an impressive palace covered with mansard roofs, its façades adorned with giant order pilasters. The front façade featured a three-axial avant-corps with an entrance portal on its middle axis, crowned with a triangular tympanum; a balcony projected from the façade directly above the portal. The interior décor and layout were also modified at that time.

During the period between 1758 and 1850 the southern and eastern wings of the palace were demolished, with the surviving basements being covered by a flat roof. After 1850, the arcades overlooking the courtyard were bricked up; the shape of the roofs covering the northern and western wings was modified after the year 1871, while the exterior plaster finish was renovated in 1935. After World War II came to an end, the palace remained inhabited until 1984.


The palace - now in a state of ruin - has started its life as a Renaissance manor house; it is surrounded by a dry moat and spatially linked to the nearby manor farm. The ruins are located in the centre of the village.

The palace was a two-storey structure with a basement, consisting of four wings positioned on a tall plinth and surrounding a rectangular courtyard, with arcaded walkways running alongside the courtyard o both levels. The southern and eastern wings of the palace were both torn down between 1768 and 1850, with only the basement level remaining. Vestiges of a structure dating back to the Gothic period can still be found in the southern part of these surviving cellars, covered by a flat roof. The front (northern) wing, with its projecting avant-corps crowned with a triangular pediment was preceded by a bridge with a semi-circular arch, facilitating passage across the moat. The interior of the front wing followed a single-bay layout. The façades were partitioned by composite giant order pilasters supporting sections of entablature as well as a profiled crowning cornice. The windows featured elaborate eared surrounds with lintel cornices (on the ground floor level) and keystones (on the second storey), with decorative panels positioned below each window. The main entrance, positioned on the middle axis of the avant-corps, was framed with a stone portal topped with a basket-handle arch, flanked by a pair of engaged columns, each topped with a herm in the form of an atlant bust. Above these elaborate supports there was a balcony with an openwork balustrade. The interiors featured Renaissance-era double barrel vaults and barrel vaults with lunettes as well as Baroque-era flat ceilings with crown mouldings and plasterwork decorations in the form of ornate ceiling roses. Today, all that remains of the palace are large parts of the peripheral walls of both the northern and western wings as well as some of the vaulted ceilings on the ground floor level, the vestibule which cuts across the entire structure as well as the cellars. Vestiges of period architectural detailing and the entrance portal can still be seen on the front façade.

The historic monument can be viewed from the outside (private property).

compiled by Beata Sebzda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 24-04-2015.


  • Degen K., Die Bau- und Kunstdenkmäler des Landkreises Breslau, Frankfurt am Main 1965, pp. 120-123.
  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce. Seria Nowa, vol. IV, issue 2, Województwo wrocławskie, Sobótka, Kąty Wrocławskie i okolice, J. Pokora and M. Zlat (eds.), Warsaw 1991, pp. 30-32.
  • Pilch J., Leksykon zabytków architektury Dolnego Śląska. Warsaw 2005, p. 143.
  • Sieber H. Burgen und Schlösser in Schlesien, Frankfurt am Main 1962, p. 86.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, pp. 383-384.
  • Bandurska J., Studium historyczno-architektoniczne pałacu w Kamionnej, Wrocław 1976, typescript available at the archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland - Regional Office in Wrocław National Heritage Board of Poland - Regional Office in Wrocław.

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 1571 r.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kamionna
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district wrocławski, commune Kąty Wrocławskie - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area