Palace, Kamienny Most
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

It is a rare example of Pomeranian residence of a noble family dating from the 17th century.

History

Kamienny Most was called “Steinhöfel” until 1945. Since the Middle Ages, the nobleman’s estate belonged to the von Wedel family. During that time, the town was within the boundaries of the New March of Brandenburg, a few kilometres from the border with the Duchy of West Pomerania. The manor house that has partly survived to this day was erected probably in the first quarter of the 17th century. The remains of the former complex include a residential building. According to historical records, the then seats of nobility were complexes of residential and utility buildings surrounded by a wall or palisade, and often by a moat. The manorial buildings in Kamienny Most most probably stretched from the north and north-east along the shores of the lake. The economic nature of this part of the complex was also noticeable in the 1990s.

It is not known precisely what the then seat looked like. The residential building that has been preserved to this day consisted of one storey and was covered with a tall gable roof. The interior of the building featured a two-bay layout with a pass-through hallway in the central section. As the main residential room, the hallway was fitted with two fireplaces. The design was implemented almost in all seats of noble families in the New March. For example, a similar structure from the same period has been preserved as ruins in Wardyń in the area of the former New March.

Later, the manor house underwent many alterations. A vaulted basement dates back probably to the first half of the 18th century. In 1816, as a result of an administrative reform, part of the former New March with Kamienny Most was incorporated into the province of Pomerania (Provinz Pommern). Since 1803, the property was owned by the von Waldow family that was extremely influential in Brandenburg at that time. In 1831, Carl Ernst Wilhelm von Waldow became the lord of Kamienny Most. He was nominated as a life member of the Prussian House of Lords (Preußiche Herrenhaus) by royal decree of 23 January 1855. The entire manor complex underwent numerous alterations in the first half of the 19th century; the most significant alterations were made in the 1830s. A farm complex to the west of the manor house was built probably at that time. It was also the time of creation of a landscape park to the east and south. The scope of changes in the appearance of the manor house is shown in the engraving included in the work of Alexander Duncker in the third quarter of the 19th century. At that time, the building was covered with a new gable roof with jerkin heads and eyelid dormers. The manor house was redecorated in the Neoclassical style. An avant-corps along the axis of the front façade was added to the seventeenth-century main body and a new wing was annexed to the south. The windows in the side wing and the main body on the first floor were framed by new Neoclassical surrounds consisting of pilasters and entablature. The western and eastern façades of the wing were crowned with an attic with vases. Soon afterwards, the side wing was extended by adding a half-timbered structure to the east. The property was acquired by the von Kieckebusch family in the first quarter of the 20th century. According to address books, the owners were Max von Kieckebusch in 1911 and Wilhelm in 1920. The manor house was converted into a palace in the 1910s. The old late Renaissance manorial building was preserved and the southern wing was completely modernised by redecorating it in the eclectic style that combined neo-Baroque features with the features of the medieval architecture. The entrance avant-corps was converted into an arcaded porch with a terrace. The architecture of the entire building was partially harmonised. A representative dining room was created on the first floor of the side wing.

The building underwent further modernisations in the 1920s. These included alterations to the hallway and installation of reinforced beam ceilings over the hallway. An avant-corps featuring a representative staircase was added to the east.

After World War 2, the property in Kamienny Most was nationalised. In 1953, the palace with a park became the seat of the Vocational Secondary School and Vocational Agriculture Mechanisation School in Kamienny Most. Around 1970, the attic was adapted for use as a dormitory. At that time, the original eyelid dormers were destroyed and replaced with large rectangular dormers covered with shed roofs. In the 1970s, the entrance porch was extended upwards by an additional storey made of metal and glass. In 1998, a gym was added to the palace to the east.

Description

The palace is situated in the northern part of the village, on the shores of the Kamienne Lake. It is surrounded by a large landscape park to the east and south. A large complex of the former farm buildings is located to the west.

The late Renaissance palace was extended in the eclectic style combining the Baroque and late Renaissance features with the features of the medieval architecture and the Northern Renaissance.

The front façade of the palace faces the west. The building consists of the main body built on a rectangular floor plan and the side wing adjoining the main body at an angle of 90 degrees from the side of the southern façade. A modern gym was added to the side wing to the east. The front façade of the main body features an arcaded entrance porch, while the rear façade a rectangular avant-corps. The palace consists of two storeys and a basement. The main body and the eastern part of the side wing were covered with a tall gable roof with jerkin heads; the western part of the side wing was covered with a slightly lower gable roof. The attic provides additional illumination for a row of rectangular dormers covered with shed roofs. The one-storey entrance porch with a terrace is glazed at the first floor level.

The building was built of brick. The plinth of the side wing was covered with granite ashlars with roughly worked contact surfaces. The walls of the first floor of the entrance porch were made of metal and glass. The roof is covered with interlocking tiles. The basements were covered with a barrel vault; the upper storeys with reinforced concrete and wooden beamed ceilings. The reinforced concrete ceiling in the hallway is covered with wooden cladding. The window joinery features a box-type structure with different partitions.

The façades are topped with a profiled cornice; the corners are accentuated by rusticated pilaster strips. The window openings in the shape of standing rectangles were framed by surrounds adorned with decorative side sections and doubled keystones at the top. Large windows topped by round arches provide additional illumination for the representative dining room located on the first floor of the side wing. Their surrounds resembling Gothic ornamental gables with tracery (wimperg) are topped by double Baroque keystones.

The interior of the main body features a two-bay layout with a pass-through hallway; the interior of the side wing has a two-and-a-half-bay layout with a corridor. The rooms in some of the sections of the building are arranged in an enfilade. A large hallway reflecting the pluralism of styles is the most representative room of the palace. It is decorated with the original fireplace from the early 17th century, representative staircase and beamed ceiling from the 1920s. The fireplace consists of a hearth framed by pilasters and a two-storey volute-shaped gable end. A distinctive feature is the ceiling with wooden cladding designed in a style resembling medieval or modern profiled wooden ceilings. The avant-corps at the end of the hallway features a representative double landing staircase, the so-called “Emperor’s Stairs”. Their layout is clearly reminiscent of the stairs in German Baroque mansions, whereas the balustrade made of boards in the form of fascine is characteristic of the early classicistic interiors.

Another representative room once used probably as a dining room is located in the side wing on the first floor. The walls are clad there with frame-and-panel wainscoting. The panel partitions and ornaments adorning the wainscoting and doors are reminiscent of the Baroque and Gothic styles. A Renaissance Revival sideboard from the late 19th century was standing in the dining room in 1977; only the bottom of the sideboard has been preserved to this day.

A Rococo Revival fireplace cast in metal is located in one of the rooms on the first floor. The door situated at the main entrance to the palace dates back to the first half of the 19th century.

Today, the building houses a school. Viewing of the building is only possible by arrangement with the school management.

compiled by Radosław Walkiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Szczecin, 26.11.2014.

Bibliography

  • Berghaus H., Landbuch des Herzogthums Pommern und der Fürstentums Rügen, II Theil, Bd IV. Anklam, Stargard an der Ihna 1868, s. 591-592, 582-583
  • Borkowska U. Katalog dworów i pałaców gminy Chociwel, Szczecin 1979, z. 5. maszynopis w zbiorach: NID, OT Szczecin
  • Duncker A., Die ländlichen Wohnsitze, Schlösser und Residenzen der Ritterschaftlichen Grundbesitzer in Preussichen Monarchie, Bd. VIII Berlin 1865-1866, il. 470
  • Karta ewidencyjna zabytku, opr. M. Słonimski, Szczecin 1998
  • Katalog zabytków powiatu stargardzkiego, praca zbiorowa, tom II, Stargard 2010, s. 281-286
  • Niekammer‘s Landwirtschaftliche Güter-Adresbücher, Stettin-Leipzig 1892-1939

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: początek XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kamienny Most
  • Location: Voivodeship zachodniopomorskie, district stargardzki, commune Chociwel - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area