Manor house complex, Kamienny Dwór
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The manor house complex in Kamienny Dwór is a site of immense historical significance. Its history remains bound to that of many eminent noble families who owned the manor throughout the years, including, first and foremost, the Kuczyński and Starzeński families. Aleksandra Piłsudska, the wife of the late Marshal Józef Piłsudski, remained the owner of the manor right until the onset of World War II and resided there for extended periods, especially during the summer. The entire complex also retains numerous features having a significant artistic value. The aesthetic qualities of the complex manifest themselves in the architecture of the wooden storage building, the wooden manor house and the second, masonry manor house designed by the renowned engineer Zygmunt Protassewicz, who also designed the Patria guest house in Krynica Zdrój, owned by the singer Jan Kiepura. Zygmunt Protassewicz (1899-1991) received numerous awards in his lifetime, including the Virtuti Militari War Order and the Cross of Valour for his achievements during the Polish-Bolshevik war of 1920. He was also the husband of a well-known actress, Jadwiga Smosarska (1898-1971).

History

The first manor house in Wólka Pietkowska (the erstwhile name of the domain a part of which has later become the Kamienny Dwór manor) was erected back in the 17th century, its owner being Tomasz Karp. During the 18th century, the manor remained in the hands of the wealthy Kuczyński family, who held numerous other properties in the Podlasie region, later to be followed by the Starzeński family, who decided to commission various extension and construction works towards the end of the 18th century, including the construction of the existing wooden storage building. It was the members of the Starzeński family who built the wooden manor house in the first half of the 19th century; this building, with its plaster-covered walls, is known today as “the old manor house” and was originally surrounded by a park which was redesigned during the same period. In the second half of the 19th century, the entire complex came into the hands of the Kosiński family; as the century drew to a close, they have sought to increase the profits generated by the lands they owned, which compelled them to expand their activities, focusing on horticultural production. The new name of the manor - Kamienny Dwór - was most likely a reference to the newly established orchards, surrounded by a stone wall. In the 1930s, the bankruptcy of the erstwhile owner, Marian Kosiński, led to the entire manor being sold on an auction. The complex was purchased by Aleksandra Piłsudska, the widow of the Marshal Józef Piłsudski. In years 1936-1937, a new, brick manor house (known today as the “new manor house”) was erected, its design being the work of Zygmunt Protassewicz. After the new building was completed, the old manor house served as an outbuilding. During World War II, the manor came under the Soviet administration; later on, it was taken over by the Germans. After the war came to an end, the complex was taken over by the local State Agricultural Holding (PGR) and then, following the dissolution thereof, by the Agriculture Property Agency of the State Treasury. Currently, the complex is private property.

Description

The manor house complex in Kamienny Dwór is situated north-west of the village of Wólka Pietkowska, on the western side of the road leading from Wólka Pietkowska to Pietków. The complex was designed on an irregular, polygonal plan. It consists of the following sections: the park, the gardens and orchards as well as the utility section. The lines of old trees serve as boundaries for the individual orchards. The south-eastern and the southern corners of the complex are circumscribed with a stone perimeter wall. A Classicist manor house (the so-called “old manor house”) is located in the middle of the park; it was erected in the mid-19th century on a rectangular floor plan, with a porch projecting from the front façade. The building is covered with a half-hip roof. It is a wooden structure, its walls covered with plaster; the roof is clad with metal roof tiles. The more recent, brick manor house (the so-called “new manor house”, erected in years 1936-1937) is located in the eastern part of the park. Designed on an irregular, polygonal plan, the manor house is covered with a multi-pitched roof clad with sheet metal. A surviving wooden storage building from the late 18th century, designed on a rectangular floor plan and covered with a tall hip roof, is located in the northern corner of the park, by the road separating the park and the utility area of the manor. The front façade of the building features a recessed, covered walkway supported by six wooden posts. The roof of the storage building features shake cladding.

The site is open to visitors.

compiled by Tomasz Rogala, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok, 15-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Walkiewicz M., Kamienny Dwór, gm. Wyszki, woj. białostockie. Studium historyczno-przestrzenne zespołu podworskiego, Białystok 1983, Archive of the Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: poł. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Kamienny Dwór
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district bielski, commune Wyszki
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area