Town hall, Kamienna Góra
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.


A Renaissance Revival building designed by a renowned Wrocław architecture firm of Alfred Boettcher and Richard Gaze. The edifice is an early 20th-century public building of high artistic quality.


The town hall was erected in the years 1904-05 based on a design produced by Alfred Boettcher and Richard Gaze, under the supervision of Fisch and Weiner, acting in the capacity of site foreman and master of masonry and carpentry respectively. The sumptuous interior design, created, among others, by the respected painter Heintze and the glassworks company Seller & Ehrbeck from Wrocław (stained glass windows) was partially funded by the wealthy citizens of the town. The building was renovated in the years 2012-13.


The edifice is situated in the western part of the town’s centre, forming part of the southern frontage of the market square near the former Main Gate, which was demolished in 1837. Designed in the German Renaissance Revival style, this impressive building follows an L-shaped floor plan, with a picturesque outline consisting of three distinct sections. The individual parts of the building - the main body and the side wing - are two- and three-storey structures with a converted attic, accompanied by a tower positioned at the junction of the two sections of the structure. The tower, designed on a square floor plan, features an octagonal upper section with a narrow gallery and a tall cupola with two openwork arcaded sections. Both the main body and the wing of the town hall are covered with gable roofs enlivened by dormers which come in various shapes and sizes. The façades are covered with plaster, with the corners and the plinth at the bottom lined with rusticated sandstone blocks; in addition, the gables and oriels projecting from the façades also feature lavish stonework detailing. A stone frieze depicting the defence of the town during the Hussite Wars as well as the coats of arms of Wrocław, Legnica, Chełmsko Śląskie and Lubawka runs across the southern façade of the main body of the building, between the second and third storey. The oriel is adorned with reliefs representing various industries: brewing, spinning, weaving and shoemaking, as well as with the emblems of the guilds which participated in the construction of the town hall. The windows - single or paired - come in various shapes and sizes; the windows of the ground floor and semi-basement sections are topped with segmental arches, while the ones positioned on the upper storeys are rectangular in shape. The windows are framed by stone surrounds. The western façade of the wing features triple windows with lavishly decorated surrounds. A sandstone portal framing the main entrance, topped with a segmental arch, is located in the ground floor section of the edifice. The portal is supported by pilasters upon which rests an entablature with a pronounced cornice and a header with S-shaped volutes and semi-circular pediment. Inside, the building features a monumental staircase opening towards the hall, with a stone balustrade and the sculpted busts of duke Bolko I and Bolko II. The staircase is illuminated by a stained glass window. The walls are adorned with vibrantly coloured wall paintings and inscriptions which have recently been partially restored to their former glory. Surviving period décor can still be admired inside the mayor’s study and the council hall.

The monument may be visited during the opening hours of the Municipal Office.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 15-06-2015.


  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Kotlina Kamiennogórska, Wzgórza Bramy Lubawskiej, Zawory, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 1997, pp. 153-154.

General information

  • Type: town hall
  • Chronology: początek XX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: pl. Grunwaldzki 1, Kamienna Góra
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district kamiennogórski, commune Kamienna Góra (gm. miejska)
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area