Palace and park complex, currently Sanctuary of St Hyacinth - Zabytek.pl
Kamień Śląski, Parkowa 1a
woj. opolskie, pow. krapkowicki, gm. Gogolin-obszar wiejski
Kamień Śląski, which was mentioned in sources already in 1104, was used by the Odrowąż family, from the 12th century, as their seat. From the 16th century, the defensive castle in Kamień Śląski was owned by the Strzała family, and then by the Rokowsky family. Almost until the end of the 18th century, the estate in Kamień Śląski was owned by the von Larisch family. At the turn of the 17th and the 18th century, they erected a palace which was re-designed thereafter, in 1779, by Ludwik Jacek Larisch. In the second half of the 19th century, the estate in Kamień Śląski was inherited by the von Strachwitz family who, initiating in 1858 and 1889-1891 the conversion of its interiors, changed the appearance of the façades to a small degree. At that time, also utility and residential buildings of the palace and manor farm complex, nationalised after 1945, came into being. In 1971, the site was destroyed by a fire and only in 1990, when the palace complex was handed over to the Opole diocese, it regained its former glory. Currently the former residence of the Strachwitz family houses a conference and research centre and a spa. Kamień Śląski is also an important pilgrimage destination, associated with the worship of St Hyacinth, who originated from that town.
The palace and manor farm complex is located on the southern edge of Kamień Śląski, in the western part of the park.
The palace is made of brick and stone, and is the main building of the complex. It consists of two wings (southern and northern one), parallel to each other, with a connecting section. The corps de logis (northern wing) was erected on a rectangular floor plan. In its south-western corner, there is a quadrangular tower with a chapel of the first floor. By the south-eastern corner, an annex was built. It rests on four piers and houses a ball room on the first floor. The three-storey body is topped with a mansard roof with dormers, and the tower - with a quadrangular tented roof with an octagonal bulbous top section. The single-storey southern wing (outbuilding) was erected on an elongated rectangle plan, with cloisters on the ground floor level of the eastern façade. It is topped with a gable roof with dormers. The corners of the outbuilding are accentuated with turrets topped with bulbous tented roofs with lanterns. Architectural partitions of the façades originate mostly from the 2nd half of the 19th century. On the axis of the eastern façade of the body, there is an avant-corps flanked with pilasters supporting an entablature and a balcony on the first floor. Above the windows, there are cartouches. The interior of the two-bay body is covered with a barrel vault with lunettes, and the chapel - with a cloister vault. In the ball room, there is a flat ceiling with crown moulding.
In the front of the main entrance gate, there is a complex of manor farm buildings: a carriage house, a stable, a barn, and a residential house for the coachman and the hostler. The buildings were erected on a rectangular floor plan and topped with gable roofs. Due to significant damages, decorations of the façades are very modest, with Classicist or neo-Gothic features.
The building is accessible to visitors.
compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 10-12-2015.
- Gaworski M., Opolskie zamki i pałace, Strzelce Opolskie 2011, s. 67.
- Gaworski M., Najpiękniejsze zamki, pałace Śląska i pogranicza polsko-czeskiego, Strzelce Opolskie 2012, s.126-127.
- Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, t. 7: Województwo opolskie, z. 6: Powiat krapkowicki, oprac. J.T. Frazik, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1962, s. 8.
- Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Budynek mieszkalny w zespole pałacowym w Kamieniu Śląskim, oprac. Łabęcka H., 1990, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.
- Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Budynek stajni w zespole pałacowym w Kamieniu Śląskim, oprac. Łabęcka H., 1990, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.
- Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Stodoła w zespole pałacowym w Kamieniu Śląskim, oprac. Łabęcka H., 1990, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.
- Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Powozownia w zespole pałacowym w Kamieniu Śląskim, oprac. Łabęcka H., 1990, Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.
- Karta ewidencyjna zabytku architektury, Pałac w Kamieniu Śląskim, oprac. Żurakowski W., [b.r.w.], Archiwum Wojewódzkiego Urzędu Ochrony Zabytków w Opolu.
- Thullie C., Zabytki architektoniczne województw katowickiego i opolskiego. Przewodnik, Katowice 1969, s. 158.
- Zabytki Sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, red. zbiorowa, Warszawa 2006, s. 382-383.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.17945, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.17452