Church of All Saints, Kacwin
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of All Saints

Kacwin

photo

Gothic church, converted in the Baroque period, featuring the most interesting architectural profile in the region of Polski Spisz.

History

The church was founded by the family of Berzewiczy in the early 15th century. The coat of arms of the Berzewiczy family - 3 roses in a shield - is placed on the keystone of the vault in the chancel, over the grand altar. The church was damaged in 1431 during the Hussite Wars. Between 1602 and 1632, it was owned by Lutherans and converted into a congregation. After re-Catholicisation of Spisz, it was regained by Catholics. In 1677 it suffered a fire. In the years 1678-1679, ceilings and and roofs of the church were reconstructed, and in 1712, a new stone vault was installed over the nave. In the same year, a chapel of St Anne was added from the north, and a sacristy adjoining the chancel. In 1757, the church roofing and the Gothic frame of the tower was again destroyed by fire. Renovation works lasted until 1767, and in the course of them, the damaged tower was extended upwards and covered by a tented roof. In the years 1771-1772, the church’s interior along with the grand altar was renovated. In 1814, a brick fencing with gates were constructed. In 1842, the church was thoroughly renovated under the direction of architect Johan Steinhaus from Lewocza. In 1903 and 1913, side altars, and in 1928, the interior and the main altar were renovated. In 1960s, painter Maciej Makarewicz created ornamental and figural wall painting in the church. In the years 1978-1979, the church was renovated.

Description

The church is located in the central part of the village on the western side of the main country road— Św. Anny Street. The fencing circumscribes the area of a former church cemetery where a couple of graves from the early 20th century is located. In its oldest parts, the church is a Gothic building, converted in the Baroque style. It is a single-nave structure with a narrower chancel terminating in a straight wall, by which there is a newer Gethsemane chapel, between buttresses. On the northern side of the chancel, there is a sacristy built on a rectangular floor plan, and on the northern side of the nave, chapel of St Anne. A porch adjoins the nave on the south side. The front façade is adjoined from the west by a massive tower, erected on a square floor plan, topped with a tented roof of the Baroque period. The roofs of the church are of saddle type. Over the chancel, there is a steeple turret with a lantern and a tented roof analogical to the tower. The interiors are covered by cross-rib vaults over the chancel and the sacristy, and barrel vaults with lunettes over the nave. The church is a brick building with plastered and buttressed walls. Roofs are covered with wood shingles. Plasterwork of the façades is plain, and the façades are accentuated in the top sections with profiled cornices. The tower features a wider cornice under the tented roof, stepped in the middle sections. The church fittings mostly date from the Baroque period. The main altar originates from the early 17th century, two side altars - from 1913, the ambo - from around 1842. The fencing is made of brick. It was created in 1814; its gates are topped with stone flower beds.

The structure can be accessed from the outside all year round, inside during the services.

compiled by Olga Dyba, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Krakow, 14-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Skorupa A., Zabytkowe kościoły Polskiego Spisza. Kraków 1997.
  • Gotkiewicz M., Dzieje Zamagurza Spiskiego (do 1. poł. XIX w.). „Ziemia” 1957, nr 2.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: pocz. XV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: św. Anny 145, Kacwin
  • Location: Voivodeship małopolskie, district nowotarski, commune Łapsze Niżne
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area