Church of St Sebastian and Our Lady of the Rosary, Jurgów
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of St Sebastian and Our Lady of the Rosary



An example of wooden sacred architecture from the 17th century.


The church was built in the years 1670-1675, and initially, it was a filial church (Jurgów belonged to the parish in Łapsze Niższe). An independent parish was officially established in 1776. The church was converted a couple of times after its construction. In 1811 and 1869, the building was extended to the west. The roofs were lowered at that time. In 1881, within the church square, a free-standing brick bell tower was erected. In 1935, a brick sacristy and a chapel of St Joseph were added.


The church is located in the northern part of the village, on the western side of the main road from Czarna Góra, at the outskirts of the village. It is circumscribed by a brick and stone walls topped with a wood shingle roof, with an arcaded fate on the front side. It is a one-nave building with a narrower rectangular chancel, adjoined from the north by a brick sacristy. By nave, on the south, there is a porch, and on the north - a brick chapel. The roof of the body is of hip type, and there are mono-pitched roofs on the annexes. In the roof ridge, there is a steeple turret with a lantern, Baroque in shape. The church is made of wood, based on a log structure, with walls clad with wood shingles. It rests of a foundation in the form of banks made of split stones. The plinth is protected by skirt roofs of wood shingles. The sill plate of the body is made of fir wood and joined at the corners by scarf joints with birdsmouths. The walls are made of logs of rectangular cross- section. The roof is covered with wood shingles. Inside the church, the ceiling over the nave is flat, with upper side logs and a barrel vault over a high pipe organ casing. Over the chancel, there are false barrel vaults. The chapel and the sacristy are covered by flat, plastered ceilings. Paintings on the walls and ceilings are Rococo in style, of ornamental and figural type, made in 1813, repainted in the years 1935-1936 by Kazimierz Piętek. The ceilings of the chancel is covered with geometric foliage motifs, framing the painting of the Holy Trinity placed in the centre. On the wall of the chancel, there is a painted scene depicting Christ giving keys to St Peter. On the ceiling over the nave there are coffer partitions with foliage motifs and depictions of St Sebastian and Holy Mother with Child. In a niche in the nave’s ceiling, there is a sculpture of St Michael the Archangel of the 18th century. In the sections of the upper side logs there are painted scenes from the life and passion of Christ. The painting on the walls and ceilings of the chapel is of illusionist type, with architectural partitions. The rood beam of the 18th century is profiled, with sculptures of the Crucified, Our Lady of Sorrows, and St John the Evangelist. The choir rests on pillars, features a panel painted balustrade. The interior fittings include, among other things: Rococo main altar from the 18th century, renovated in 1861, in the altar, a 15th-century figure of Our Lady of the Rosary, and on the sides, there are sculptures of saint bishops. In the top section, there is a painting of St Sebastian from the 18th century. The left side altarpiece, with the figure of Holy Mother with Child, surrounded by St Joseph and St Joachim. The right side altar with a sculpture of St Nicholas, and sculptures of St John of Nepomuk and St Charles of Borromeo on the sides. The altar in the chapel of St Joseph is Baroque in style with folk elements. It was created in the 19th century. The Rococo ambo from the 18th century is decorated with plaques with foliage ornamentation.

The building can be viewed from outside, and inside during services.

compiled by Olga Dyba, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Krakow, 25-04-2015.


  • Chrzanowski T., Kornecki M., Sztuka Ziemi Krakowskiej, Kraków 1982.
  • Skorupa A., Zabytkowe kościoły polskiego Spisza. Kraków 1993.
  • Kornecki M., Kościoły drewniane w Małopolsce, Kraków 1999.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1670 - 1675
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jurgów
  • Location: Voivodeship małopolskie, district tatrzański, commune Bukowina Tatrzańska
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland


report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area