Old church, also called The Elderly Mother, Jodłownik
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Old church, also called The Elderly Mother

Jodłownik

photo

A beautiful wooden church dominated by the building of a modern parish church, incorporated in an extensive complex of parish structures, car parks, paths, etc.

History

The church in Jodłownik existed already in the 14th century, but the parish was officially established only in 1925 (previously, the village belonged to the parish in Skrzydlna). The present church was built in 1585. It was founded by Przecław Piotr Niewiarowski. After his death (1599), the church’s estate was taken over by Dominicans of Cracow, who looked after it as collators. In the second half of the 18th century, the church was renovated and fully furnished. In 1784, the estate was taken over by the Austrian state treasury, and then sold to the family of Dzieduszycki. In 1869, Cistercians from Szczyrzyc started to look after the church. In the years 1980-1981, a new parish church was built, and the old church became its filial branch. Since 2008, conservation works had been carried out in the church.

Description

The building has a log structure. It is build of larch wood. The walls are covered with vertical weatherboards, and the roof with wood shingles. The nave and the chancel are covered by a shared multi-faceted wood shingle roof, resting on a truss and upper side logs. On the roof, there is a 17th-century, polygonal steeple. The massive tower featuring a post-and-beam structure, with a grand overhanging belfry, topped with a modest spire, is a dominating feature of the church’s body. The chancel, terminating in a semi-hexagon, is adjoined by a small sacristy. The interior features a flat ceiling with upper logs. In the nave part, on the ceiling, there are Rococo painted decorations from 1764, showing the Coronation of the Virgin. According to E. Rastawiecki and J. Łepkowski, the decorations were painted by Staszowski of an unknown first name, working for Dominicans. In the chancel, there is a scene of Annunciation and medallions with images of Dominican saints. Part of the Baroque furnishings originating from the 17th and 18th century was transferred to the new parish church. In the old church, a beautiful late-Renaissance ambo from the late 16th century, and a wooden baptismal font from 1915, have remained, among other things. The main altar dates back to the 2nd half of the 18th century. Unfortunately, the miraculous painting of Our Lady of Jodłowice, was transferred to the new church (also two 16th century bells were moved there). At present, the altar features a painting of the Presentation of Mary. In the upper section, there is a depiction of St Stanislaus the Bishop, and on the sides, sculptures of saints. In the nave, there are two side altarpieces and a choir with a painted sill. The portrait of Przecław Niewiarowski, died 1599, is also a valuable artifact.

The monument is open to visitors. Services on week days: 7:00. Sundays and holidays - 8:00, 9:30, 11:00, 15:00. It is open from 1 May to 30 September as part of the Wooden Architecture Route.

compiled by Roman Marcinek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Krakow, 20-03-2015.

Bibliography

  • G. Ruszczyk, Drewniane kościoły w Polsce 1918-1939, Warszawa 2001,
  • [M. Kornecki], Kościoły Diecezji Tarnowskiej [w:] Rocznik Diecezji Tarnowskiej, Tarnów 1972,
  • J. Gadomski, Gotyckie malarstwo tablicowe w Małopolski 1420-1470. Warszawa 1981
  • P. Skoczek: Parafie Ziemi Limanowskiej. Proszówki 2009,
  • Matuszczyk, Beskid Wyspowy. Pruszków 2008.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, T. I, Województwo krakowskie, z. 7, Powiat limanowski, Warszawa 1953

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 poł. XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jodłownik 27
  • Location: Voivodeship małopolskie, district limanowski, commune Jodłownik
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area