Manor house complex consisting of a wooden manor house and park, Jodłówka
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Manor house complex consisting of a wooden manor house and park

Jodłówka

photo

The wooden manor house in Jodłówka is one of the few surviving buildings of its kind in the Podlaskie province, erected at the turn of the 20th century. Today, the building presents a significant artistic value. Its defining features are its harmonious silhouette, the symmetrical, rhythmic arrangement of windows as well as architectural detailing with evident Classical influences. The porches are supported by Tuscan columns and topped with simple, triangular pediments. The park surrounding the manor house blends seamlessly with the surrounding woodland.

History

The manor house was erected at the turn of the 20th century as a summer residence for the owners of the Wojnówka manor - the Wołoncewicz (Wołyncewicz) family. At the turn of the 20th century, Samuel Wołoncewicz’s daughter - Kazimiera Mroczkowska - decided to settle here after her marriage, making the manor house in Jodłówka her permanent home. She also made a few significant changes to the surroundings of the house, erecting various utility buildings and establishing a park. The park was an informal design, consisting of footpaths and plantings of lime trees, hornbeams, spruces, birches, maples, black locusts, Mayday trees and various decorative tree species, including numerous kinds of lilacs. During the interwar period, after K. Mroczkowska’s death, Jodłówka became the home of her daughter, Maria. Her husband, Zenon Krogulec, remained the administrator of the manor right until World War II. After the war, the entire manor was subdivided, with the woodlands and the park being taken over by the Bielsk Podlaski Forest Administration, while the buildings and the orchard being entrusted to the Border Protection Corps. The negligent use of the utility buildings by the Border Protection Corps resulted in severe damage, with the dilapidated structures being ultimately demolished before 1954. Once the military abandoned the Jodłówka manor, the manor house itself was used as a primary school in the years 1954-1968. Later on, Z. Krogulec has managed to reclaim the northern part of the complex, commencing the restoration of the manor house before his death in 1976 - an effort which has been continued by his successors in title ever since.

Description

The manor house and park complex in Jodłówka is situated among the woods, south-east of the Wojnówka village, about 2 kilometres from the border with Belarus.

The manor house was erected on a rectangular floor plan as a single-storey building with a basement underneath parts of its structure. The building is covered with a hip roof. Semi-circular dormers project from the longer sides of the roof. The building features three rectangular annexes (porches) adjoining the northern, eastern and western façades. The porches are supported by two pairs of Tuscan columns and covered with gable roofs clad with wood shingles. The entire building is a wooden log structure positioned on stone foundations, its main roof likewise featuring a wood shingle cladding. The interior follows a two-bay layout.

Remnants of the former landscape park and an orchard can be seen to the south and to the west of the manor house respectively. The front façade of the manor house faces east.

The historical building can be viewed from the outside.

compiled by Grzegorz Ryżewski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Białystok, 17-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Bończak-Kucharczyk E., Kucharczyk K., Maroszek J., Katalog parków i ogrodów zabytkowych dawnego województwa białostockiego. Stan z 1988 roku, Białystok 2000, pp. 116-117.
  • Record sheet, Jodłówka. Dwór, prepared by Cybulko Z., Białystok 1982, archive of the Regional Monuments Protection Office in Białystok.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: XIX/XX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jodłówka
  • Location: Voivodeship podlaskie, district hajnowski, commune Dubicze Cerkiewne
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area