An old miners’ house, Jeżów Sudecki
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

The house is believed to be the oldest wooden house in all of the Sudety region, originally forming part of one of the so-called mining taverns - a group of six houses erected for miners from Saxony at the turn of the 18th century. The miners have settled in the Jeżów Sudecki village after they have been given the concession for gold and silver ore mining by the Jelenia Góra municipal council which controlled the village from 1506 onwards. The houses erected for the miners remained separate from the local farms and were therefore free from any rent obligations.

History

The building is believed to have been erected as far back as 1601; it has undergone a number of redesigns throughout the ages, including in the 19th century; in years 1962-63, the house underwent restoration. Initially a residential building, from the 18th century onwards the house has served exclusively as a utility structure.

Description

The gablefront house is located in the northern part of the village, on the western side of the street. It is a free-standing, two-storey building designed on a rectangular floor plan, topped with a gable roof clad with wood shingles. A single-storey annex covered by an extended section of the roof positioned at a slightly different angle adjoins the north-western side of the house. The building features a mixed structure, with parts of the ground floor being made of stone; the rest of the ground floor structure as well as the gable walls of the house are based on a timber frame with either wattle-and-daub infills or vertical weatherboard cladding. The first-floor section features a wattle-and-daub structure with plastered infills adorned with simple, monochromatic rosette motifs created using a faux sgraffito technique. On the northern side, at the first-floor level, there is a wooden gallery with a solid, decorative wooden parapet, leading to a single flight of steps running alongside the façade. The ground floor section features three gates of varying sizes, equipped with plain, wooden leafs. The house features small, unadorned windows; most of the window joinery is missing. Today, the house is in poor technical condition.

The site is inaccessible to visitors - private property protected by a fence.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 27-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 4 Kotlina Jeleniogórska, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 1999, p. 250.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 372.

General information

  • Type: residential building
  • Chronology: początek XVII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Długa 135, Jeżów Sudecki
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district jeleniogórski, commune Jeżów Sudecki
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area