Church of St Bartholomew in Jeziorany, Jeziorany
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of St Bartholomew in Jeziorany

Jeziorany

photo

A typical example of a municipal Gothic hall church located in the former territory of the State of the Teutonic Order. The church in Jeziorany belongs to a group of large hall churches of the Warmia region, comprised of such buildings as the parish churches in Olsztyn and Lidzbark Warmiński and the collegiate church in Dobre Miasto.

History

Jeziorany was chartered in 1338. The location privilege was renewed in 1389. Both documents provided that six voloks of land would be granted to the parish priest. According to the now-defunct 18th-century inscription above the sacristy, the church in Jeziorany according was founded in 1345, although the foundations of the church were probably constructed around 1340. The workshop tasked with the construction of the cathedral in Frombork may have participated in these works. Following the construction of the foundations, the building works were discontinued. Works were resumed in 1360, and ended in 1370 (Loyal) or 1390 (Mroczko, Arszyński). The interior of the church was partially destroyed and plundered in 1414 during the war between the Teutonic Order and Poland. In the first quarter of the 16th century, stellar vaults were constructed above the presbytery and nave body. The fires which raged in the surrounding area in 1783 and 1807 did not cause any damage to the church, although a considerable part of the town burned down. In 1912, a considerable redesign of the temple took place: the nave body was lengthened by two bays towards east, a new eastern facade was built, with the shape and divisions of the earlier facade being carried over to the new design, a sacristy and a porch were added in the northern section of the church, the tower was extended upwards by one and a half storey (including a new pair of gables) and an octagonal staircase was constructed alongside the northern facade.

Description

The church in Jeziorany is located in the northern part of the old town, in the neighbourhood of the town walls. The church is a brick structure with stone sections, built on a rectangular floor plan. It is a six-bay hall church, oriented to the east, with a tower added on its western side, on the axis of the main nave. The main body of the building is supported by buttresses. The tower and nave body are covered with a gable roof with ceramic roof tiles. The eastern facade features a rectangular end section, partitioned by two buttresses, with a blind window on the axis of the main nave and window openings on the axes of the aisles. The church is adorned with a stepped gable with pinnacles with blind windows spanning the entire height of the gable. The northern and southern facades feature an alternating arrangement of Gothic windows and buttresses. A Neo-Gothic porch adjoins the southern facade, while a two-bay, two-storey sacristy and an octagonal staircase abut the northern facade of the church. The three-storey tower of the church is embellished with tall blind windows with gables in the west and in the east. The tower also features a pointed-arch portal which does not feature socles or capitals. The church features a tall, six-bay interior with a stellar vault. Naves separated by arches supported on tall, octagonal pillars. The nave body is integrated with the presbytery. The upper storey of the sacristy (the gallery) is opens towards the northern nave with profiled arcades, topped with pointed arches. Most of the interior fittings of the church in Jeziorany are examples of the Baroque and Neo-Gothic art. The most significant of those fittings include the Late-Renaissance altar from around the year 1600, with later Baroque additions: a painting depicting the Entombment of Christ is positioned in the predella, while the upper section of the altar is graced by another painting, this time depicting the Crucifixion, dating back to ca. 1700. This altar is currently situated in the northern nave, although it initially formed a part of the fittings of the chapel of the Holy Cross in Jeziorany. The main altar of the church in Jeziorany comes from 1734.

Accessible structure. The building may be visited upon prior telephone appointment.

Compiled by Maurycy Domino, 9.12.2014.



Bibliography

  • Bosko J., Wojtkowski J. M., Dziedzictwo historyczno-artystyczne archidiecezji warmińskiej. Zabytki ruchome, Olsztyn 2011, p. 110-111.
  • Chrzanowski T., Przewodnik po zabytkowych kościołach południowej Warmii, Olsztyn 1973, p. 34-38.
  • Herrmann Ch., Mittelalterliche Architektur im Preussenland, Petersberg 2007, p. 723-725.
  • Loyal D., Sakrale Backsteigotik im Ermland. Eine bautopographische Untersuhung, Bonn 1995, p. 168-174.
  • Mroczko T., Włodarek A., Sępopol [w:] Architektura gotycka w Polsce, T. II, red. Arszyński M., Mroczko T., Warszawa 1995, p. 200.
  • Soćko A., Układy emporowe w architekturze państwa krzyżackiego, Warszawa 2005, p. 55-56.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1345
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jeziorany
  • Location: Voivodeship warmińsko-mazurskie, district olsztyński, commune Jeziorany - miasto
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area