Filial Church of St George - Zabytek.pl
woj. pomorskie, pow. nowodworski, gm. Ostaszewo-gmina wiejska
The foundation charter for Jeziernik (Schönsee) was issued by Luther von Braunschweig, Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights, in 1334 (endowment to the church and the parish priest). The first church most probably with a frame structure was built in the 1330s. In the 3rd quarter of the 14th century, the structure was covered with an additional layer of masonry; the preserved original structural components include the truss of the eastern gable and several eastern jambs of the roof truss. The eastern gable of the church is dated to the mid-15th century, and the brick part of the tower to the late 15th century. The wooden storeys of the tower are dated to 1637. Since 1679, the parish of Jeziernik lost its independence and was incorporated into the neigbouring parish in Ostaszewo. The sacristy was demolished in 1837; the northern wall of the church was renovated in 1860 (destruction caused by a flood); and the tower and dome cladding underwent renovation in the 1880s. During World War 2, the church was not damaged. The altar, Gothic statues and confessional underwent maintenance in the 1990s; the roof of the church and the seventeenth-century pulpit were renovated in 2009.
The church is oriented, surrounded by a graveyard, and situated in the centre of the village, on the eastern part of the main village road. The church tower is the dominant feature in the flat landscape of Żuławy. The Gothic building was erected in stages, on the floor plan of an elongated rectangle with a square tower to the west and a small rectangular porch to the south. The body is framed by buttresses and covered with a gable roof and pinnacle gables to the east; the wooden storey of the tower passes into an octagonal overhanging belfry at the level of the roof ridge; the belfry is surmounted by a tall pyramid dome. The walls are made of brick; the upper storey of the tower and belfry with the dome are built of wood. The interior is covered with beamed ceilings covered with weatherboards; the roof rests on a wooden roof truss and is clad with roof tiles; the tower dome is covered with wood shingles. The western (tower) façade is pierced by a portal topped by a semicircular arch and flanked by narrow windows. The southern façade of the main body has five axes, a porch along the first axis to the west, and windows positioned at a high level and surmounted by basket-handle arches. The façade of the porch features one axis, a straight stepped gable, and is decorated with three circular panels and a strip of a flat plastered frieze (a window topped by a semicircular arch is located in place of the original door opening). The eastern façade has one axis; part of the gable is separated by a frieze strip with artistic diamond-shaped decoration. The gable features rich vertical partition and six axes; the axes of lavishly profiled lesenes incorporate pinnacles surmounted by four gablets and a finial. The aisleless interior opens with a pointed-arch arcade towards the porch below the tower; both rooms are covered with planked ceilings, whereas the porch features the original eighteenth-century wall paintings, including the painting of the Apotheosis of St George. The interior is mostly fitted with seventeenth- and eighteenth-century furnishings, including main altar, pulpit, confessional, gallery with a pipe organ casing. The preserved Gothic fittings include granite baptismal font, wall tabernacle, statue of the Virgin Mary with the Christ Child, and statue of St Anne. The graveyard boasts quite a number of nineteenth-century examples of tombstones, including stone steles and cast iron crucifixes.
Limited access to the monument. Viewing of the church interior is only possible by prior arrangement with the parish office in Ostaszewo.
compiled by Krystyna Babnis, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Gdańsk, 23-09-2015.
- Schmid B., Bau-und Kunstdenkmäler des Kreises Marienburg (Die Städte Neuteich und Tiegenhof und die lädlichen Ortschaften), Danzig 1919.
- Dehio-Handbuch der Kunstdenkmäler West- und Ostpreuβen, bearb. von M. Antoni, München-Berlin 1993.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_22_BK.39563