The filial church of All Saints, Jerzmanowa
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

The filial church of All Saints

Jerzmanowa

photo

The filial church in Jerzmanowa is an example of a simple and austere rural ecclesiastical building from the Gothic period.

History

The church in Jerzmanowa (known as Hermsdorf until 1945) was first mentioned in written sources back in 1376. The current 15th-century church bears the hallmarks of Gothic architecture; the tower was added slightly later, in the early 16th century. During the Reformation period, in the mid-16th century, the church was taken over by the Evangelical community and was only returned to the Catholics on January 7, 1654. The church underwent renovation works in the 19th century. A catechetical hall was added to the church in 1982. A full-scale restoration of the church was conducted in 2006 and involved the reinforcement of the building’s structure as well as replacement of the roof and the plasterwork.

Description

The filial church is surrounded by a cemetery circumscribed by a stone wall; the entire complex is located in the middle of the village, on the eastern side of the local road, in the immediate vicinity of the nearby palace complex with its extensive park and grange. The church itself is a stone building with some brick elements; its gables as well as fragments of its walls are covered with plaster. The church follows a single-nave layout with a square chancel, its walls supported by buttresses. The tower and the sacristy are located in the northern section of the church. The nave and the chancel both feature gable roofs which also extend to the sacristy and the catechetical hall; the tower, on the other hand, is covered with a hip roof topped with a roof lantern. The main entrance is framed by portal topped with an ogee arch; the windows are adorned with plasterwork surrounds. Inside the church, visitors may admire the Mannerist tomb effigies of Georg von Mutschelnitz, who died in 1626, as well as Barbara von Mutschelnitz, who passed away in 1605.

The historic monument is accessible to visitors. Information on church service times can be found on the parish website: parafia.jaczow.pl.

compiled by Bogna Oszczanowska, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 01-09-2014.

Bibliografia

  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, pp. 370-371.
  • B. Oszczanowska, D. Wiśniewska, Gmina Jerzmanowa. Studium środowiska kulturowego, ROBiDZ (Regional Centre for Historical Monument Research and Documentation in Wrocław, Wrocław 2006, typescript available in the archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland, Regional Branch in Wrocław

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: koniec XV w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jerzmanowa
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district głogowski, commune Jerzmanowa
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area