Church of St Adalbert and Nicholas the Bishops, Jeruzal
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Church of St Adalbert and Nicholas the Bishops

Jeruzal

photo

The feature dates back to the 18th century; however, it includes relics that have survived from the 16th century. The church has a regional value and represents an example of the Baroque, wooden sacred architecture in Mazovia.

History

The parish of St Adalbert in Jeruzal was founded on 20 January 1532 by the Bishop of Poznań, Jan Latalski. It was founded by the Oborski brothers, heirs to Łukowiec and Żeliszew properties. In the late 19th century the parish belonged to the Deanery of New Mińsk. The first wooden church of St Barbara, Stanislaus and Anna was built in Jeruzal in 1532 by Serafin and Zygmunt Oborski. The temple was destroyed in the mid-18th century. In the years 1757-1758 the Voivode of Mazovia, Kazimierz Rudziński, the then owner of the town, erected a new church that has survived to our times. Full-scale renovations were carried out in the years 1882-1884. The naves were extended to the west and the sacristy and porches were reconstructed. Another renovation took place in 1946.

Description

The church in Jeruzal is oriented, has a log wooden structure reinforced with decorative profiled studs, rests on a brick and stone foundation and is covered with weatherboards. The nave corpus was set on a rectangular floor plan; a narrower chancel terminates semi-hexagonally. From the north, a rectangular sacristy adjoins the chancel; a main porch abuts on the nave in the west, a side porch from the south; both were erected on a rectangular floor plan. The nave is topped with a gable roof; the chancel is covered with a multi-hipped roof; the southern porch is covered with a Polish mansard roof. All roofs are clad with wood shingles. Over the nave, on a roof ridge in the end part, there is a turret that forms a base for a steeple with Baroque features. It has a polygonal, openwork structure clad with sheet metal. The three-nave interior, partitioned by three pairs of pillars, is covered with a common flat ceiling. The choir gallery rests on a pair of pillars.

The structure is open to visitors upon arrangement with the parish priest.

Compiled by Katarzyna Kosior, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw, 29-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Tom X Województwo Warszawskie zeszyt 8 powiat mińsko - mazowiecki, Instytut Sztuki PAN, Warszawa 1968.
  • J. Żabicki, Leksykon zabytków architektury Mazowsza i Podlasia, Arkady, Warszawa 2010.
  • J. A. Wiśniewski, Kościoły drewniane Mazowsza, Pruszków 1998.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1757-1758
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jeruzal
  • Location: Voivodeship mazowieckie, district miński, commune Mrozy - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area