Palace, Jelenia Góra
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A Baroque palace, erected in the early 18th century. Along with the accompanying manor farm, the palace constitutes an excellent example of late 18th-century residential architecture in Lower Silesia which used to serve as a country home of one of the branches of the renowned von Schaffgotsch family of Silesian magnates.

History

The building, conceived as a country home for the von Schaffgotsch noble family, was erected in years 1705-1712 at the initiative of Anton von Schaffgotsch, based on a design by Elias Scholz from Bolesławiec. The palace also served as the manorial administrative centre and a local land court until at least 1796.Today, the palace remains in good condition and houses an agricultural school complex. The interiors have been extensively modified after 1945. A number of manor farm buildings dating back to the fourth quarter of the 18th century (redesigned ca. 1840) can be seen in the immediate vicinity of the palace; some of the buildings forming part of the original ensemble have been torn down in the modern times.

Description

The building is located in the middle part of Sobieszów, at the edge of an escarpment which slopes gently towards the east, reinforced with stone retaining walls. The building is designed in the Baroque style. It is a three-storey building positioned on a low plinth, built on a rectangular floor plan and covered with a hip roof with dormers. The longer façades follow an eleven-axial layout, with a three-axial avant-corps with a plain tympanum projecting from the middle of each façade. Each avant-corps features a separate roof, its ridge positioned perpendicularly towards the main roof ridge. A broad ornamental frieze with an acanthus motif runs around the entire building directly below the crowning cornice, its course interrupted only by a number of sculpted gargoyles. The façades are covered with plaster, their articulation based on the use of decorative framing. The windows are mostly rectangular in shape, arranged in a regular manner and featuring eared surrounds made of stone. The western façade incorporates a sandstone portal adorned with a heraldic cartouche. The ground floor section of the interior follows a two-bay layout with a hall and staircase in the middle, positioned perpendicularly vis-à-vis the other rooms. The northern section of the palace follows a three-bay layout. In the south-eastern corner of the ground floor level there is a three-bay hall with a decorative stucco fireplace surround as well as plasterwork ceiling decorations incorporating foliate scrollwork motifs and Schaffgotsch family crests. A large, quadrangular utility yard stretches east of the palace on a slightly lower ground; it is surrounded by various manor farm buildings dating back to the 18th and 19th century.

The building currently serves as a school; it can be viewed from the outside. Exploring the interiors is possible by prior arrangement.

compiled by Piotr Roczek, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Wrocław, 04-05-2015.

Bibliography

  • Słownik Geografii Turystycznej Sudetów. Vol. 4 Kotlina Jeleniogórska, M. Staffa (ed.), Wrocław 1999, pp. 422-424.
  • Kapałczyński W., Napierała P., Zamki, pałace i dwory Kotliny Jeleniogórskiej, Jelenia Góra-Wrocław 2005, pp. 34-36.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warsaw 2006, p. 363.

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: 1 poł. XVIII w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Cieplicka 196, Jelenia Góra
  • Location: Voivodeship dolnośląskie, district Jelenia Góra, commune Jelenia Góra
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area