Parish church of St Joseph the Bridegroom of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Jedlnia-Letnisko
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Parish church of St Joseph the Bridegroom of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Jedlnia-Letnisko

photo

The church presents historical and artistic values. The feature represents an example of a combination of Gothic Revival and Zakopane folk style. Moreover, it is the only example of a Zakopane-style church with cloister-type walkways on both sides of the nave in the Radom region.

History

The construction of the church in this place is related to the history of the town location. The area situated on the edge of the Kozienice Forest is distinctive for its specific microclimate. The sources tell us that: “A group of persons from nearby Radom, including Dr Ludwik Żerański - a medical practitioner, and Zygmunt Płużański, came into conclusion that the area between the Jedlnia railway station and the spring behind Gzówka is suitable for establishing a summer resort. They purchased the so-called “additions” from farmers of Piotrowice, erected villas, planted trees and this is how Jedlnia Letnisko was brought to life.” Due to the construction of the summer resort, the founders also thought about a chapel, which was built in the years 1905-1906. A Gothic Revival building was designed by Andrzej Załuski, Eng., an architect from Radom. In 1921 a separate parish of St Joseph’s Care was established in Jedlnia-Letnisko. After several years, along with the growth in population, the need to expand the church arose. And so, in the years 1924-1929 a new, wooden part of the building was built to the design of Julian Jakubowski, Eng. Parallel to the new component part of the church a wooden bell tower was constructed.

Description

A single-nave church of St Joseph the Bridegroom of the Blessed Virgin Mary comprises two parts. The older is a brick, buttressed chancel in the Gothic Revival style, with the dimensions of 6.5 x 12.5 m. The chancel is lower, narrower and terminates in a straight arch. The newer is wooden with a log and post structure. Its dimensions amount to 10.5 x 15.0 m. It was built of pine wood in the Zakopane folk style. The nave designed on a rectangular floor plan is preceded by a porch with the main entrance under the roof positioned on pillars and a turret crowned with a starling with a gallery and a pyramid hipped roof. The nave is circumscribed on two sides by archways (cloister-type walkways) resting on pillars. Two chapels are found between the nave and the chancel.

Two types of roofs are found in the church: a tin roof over the chancel and a roof covered with wood shingles over the nave. The nave part’s walls include reliefs, whose authorship is assigned to Władysław Skoczylas. The rood wall and the vault of the chancel are covered with wall paintings.

Apart from the church, the wooden bell tower has also been inscribed to the register of monuments. It was erected on a square plan and is crowned with a pyramid hipped roof.

The church can be viewed from the outside; inside, it can be viewed outside the hours of religious services.

Compiled by Bartłomiej Modrzewski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw, 07-11-2014

Bibliography

  • Mazowieckie kościoły drewniane, red. B. Jezierska, R. Nadolny, Warszawa 2009.
  • Historia, Strona internetowa parafii pw. Opieki św. Józefa w Jedlni-Letnisku, http://www.jozef.info.pl/historia.html, dostęp: 7.11.2014.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1905-1906
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Wojciechowskiego 12, Jedlnia-Letnisko
  • Location: Voivodeship mazowieckie, district radomski, commune Jedlnia-Letnisko
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area