Church of St Florian, Jedlec
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Church of St Florian

Jedlec

photo

The Church of St Florian is an example of a building having a timber frame structure with brick and clay infill. It is an example of a rural church typical of this region.

History

The village of Jedlec was mentioned in written sources for the first time in 1309 as the property of the Order of Malta monastery in Poznań. In the years 1543-1544, the village became the property of Rafał Leszczyński, the owner of the Gołuchów village. From that moment until the early 19th century, Jedlec belonged to the successive owners of Gołuchów. In the 1830s, Jedlec became the property of the Niemojowski family. A parish in Jedlec was mentioned in the early 14th century and in 1485. Documents from 1520 mention the existence of a wooden church. Another church building, erected in 1636, was destroyed before 1745. The present church, founded by Mikołaj Chlebowski, starosta [governor] of Liw, was built in the years 1745-1753, probably using the remains of the 17th-century structure. A brick bell tower with a three-arch arcade was built nearby the church in c. 1830. The wall surrounding the church yard and the gate probably also date back to that period. In the 2nd half of the 19th century, the upper part of the tower was modified, and in the late 19th century, a brick sacristy was added. The church was restored in 1995; the last full-scale renovations were carried out from 2013 to 2015.

Description

The village of Jedlec is located east of Pleszew, 2 km to the north-east of Gołuchów. Nearby, there is a Marian sanctuary in Tursko. On the east side, Jedlec borders the valley of the Prosna River. The Parish Church of St Florian is situated in the eastern part of the village, on a small hill, surrounded by a graveyard. The church is located on the north side of the main village road. East of the church, there is a cemetery, occupying a rectangular area, with a chapel built in the years 1901-03. The chapel is surrounded by a former graveyard, oval in shape, enclosed with a brick and stone wall covered with plaster. The church yard can by accessed through a brick gate and a wicket gate on the south side. On the gate posts, there are sculptures of Saints Florian and Jadwiga (Hedwig). The gate doors are made of decorative forged metal. On the north-west side, the church yard is connected with the rectory garden by a wicket gate. The church is surrounded by a path. The former graveyard is overgrown with grass and lime trees. In its eastern part, there are fragmentary remains of graves. North-west of the church, by the wall, there is a brick bell tower featuring a three-arch arcade.

The church is oriented towards the east. It has a timber frame structure with brick and clay infill covered with plaster. On the west wall, there is a square tower with a porch at the ground floor level (the porch also has a timber frame structure); until the most recent renovation works, it was covered with weatherboards. The tower is crowned with a Baroque-style cupola. Written sources inform that the tower has a post-and-beam structure. It is covered with weatherboards. The church has one nave, with no aisles; the chancel, terminating in a polygon, is not separated from the nave in any manner. A timber-frame porch adjoins the tower on the south side and a brick sacristy adjoins the church on the north side. The building has gable roofs covered with roof tiles, with a sheet metal steeple. On the porch, there is a flag with the date “1753” and the letters “M CH S L”, standing for “Mikołaj Chlebowski, starosta liwski”. Inside, there are flat ceilings with crown mouldings covered with modern paintings. The church fittings are uniform in terms of style, mostly Rococo in character; they come from the 17th and 18th centuries. A particularly notable element is the tree-shaped baptismal font whose cover features a painting depicting the baptism of Jesus, dating from the mid-18th century. The altars incorporate paintings of St Florian and Nicholas and Our Lady of the Snows.

The church can be visited from the outside. Visiting the building inside is possible by prior arrangement. More information about the parish and the Holy Mass schedule can be found on the website of the parish and the Kalisz diocese: www.diecezjakaliska.pl

compiled by Teresa Palacz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Poznan, 05-11-2015.

Bibliography

  • Maluśkiewicz P., Drewniane kościoły w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 2004.
  • Łęcki Wł., Wielkopolska - słownik krajoznawczy, Poznań 2002.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Ruszczyńska T., Sławska A. (red.), t. 5, z. 19 pow. pleszewski, s. 14-15, Warszawa 1956.
  • Anders P., Gulczyński A., Jackowski J., Powiat pleszewski, Wyd. WBP, Poznań 1999, s. 74-76.
  • Anders P., Województwo Kaliskie. Szkic monograficzny, Warszawa-Poznań 1983.
  • Małyszko St., Jedlec na przestrzeni wieków, Głuchów 2014.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 1745 - 1753
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jedlec 59
  • Location: Voivodeship wielkopolskie, district pleszewski, commune Gołuchów
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area