Church of St Mary Magdalene - Zabytek.pl
woj. opolskie, pow. krapkowicki, gm. Zdzieszowice-obszar wiejski
It boast wall paintings dating from the last quarter of the 14th century. Also some stone architecture details of the original church have survived.
The church was built around the mid-14th century. The Gothic paintings were completed in the same period (1370-1380). In 1911, a large part of the church was dismantled and a new one was erected featuring some neo-Baroque elements. Only the chancel has survived from the old Gothic church, now serving as a chapel. In 1912 the polychrome was exposed and renovated.
The church was built in the centre of the village, at the junction of Główna Street and Myśliwca Street. It is surrounded by an oval, stone fence with two gates: on the church axis in the south and in the west.
The building was design on a polygon floor plan with a three-sided termination of the rectangular chancel which adjoins a sacristy almost equal to the aisle in width. At the south-west corner of the nave, there is a quadrilateral tower, and at the east corner, a rectangular chapel (the chancel of the former church). To the south, there is a rectangular porch on the axis of the church.
The nave and chancel are covered with a gable roof; the two north bays of the nave are covered with a three-pane roof with the ridge perpendicular to the roof over the nave. At the crossroads, there is a turret topped with a bulbous cupola. The Gothic part is covered with a gable roof with the ridge perpendicular to the roof over the nave.
The church is a brick structure (Gothic chapel made of stone, the remaining part of the church made of brick), buttressed and plastered, with neo-Baroque decoration; outside, it has neutralized the differences between the earlier 14th-century part and the neo-Baroque body of the 20th century.
The façade has a two-storey, three-axis pattern, topped with a triangular gable in the upper part with a framework ornamentation. The central part contains a porch, embraced with pilasters and topped with a gable with volutes and a semicircular stone portal. From the west, the dominant element is a two-storey tower, embraced with corner pilasters in the upper part. Under the arch-curved cornice, there are clock dials. The tower is covered with a bulbous cupola with a lantern.
The neo-Baroque decoration is also visible in the east chapel façade. It is crowned with a gable with volutes and has an arched niche with the statue of St Joseph.
The interior of the church is of a three-aisle design, with a barrel vaulting with lunettes. The vaults feature stuccowork decorations with some integrated polychrome. The aisles are separated by column arcades. In the south part of the church, there is an organ gallery resting on arcades; from the east, there is a pointed-arch entrance to the chapel.
The chapel is covered with a cross-ribbed vault with ribs running down to stone supports in the shape of heads. The interior of the chapel features 14th-century wall paintings with a three-partite composition depicting the scenes of the Passion and a motif of suspended draperies and consecration crosses.
The nave and chancel exhibit uniform, neo-Baroque equipment with altar paintings produced by Joseph Fahnroth and a set of stained-glass windows from Mäyer’s Munich workshop.
The building is accessible to visitors. Viewing of the interior by prior telephone arrangement.
Compiled by Aleksandra Ziółkowska, National Heritage Board of Poland, Regional Branch in Opole, 20 November 2014.
- Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce. Vol. VII: Województwo opolskie, part 6: Powiat krapkowicki, eds. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1963, pp. 6-7.
- Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006, p. 340.
- Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien. Vol. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg. Bezirks Oppeln, Breslau 1892, p. 271.
Protection: Register of monuments, Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_16_BK.16876, PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_16_BK.18303