Filial Church of St Nicholas, Jasienica Górna
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Filial Church of St Nicholas

Jasienica Górna

photo

The Opole region boasts three churches designed by the leading architect of of the classicism period in Prussia Karl Friedrich Schinkel. All of them are in the so-called round-arch style (Ger. Rundbogenstil). One of them is the church in Jasienica Górna. Its wall fencing features some interesting Renaissance epitaphs.

History

The first mention of the church in Jasienica Górna dates back to the early 14th century. The present-day temple was built between 1835 and 1836. Its form alludes to Karl Friedrich Schinkel as the designer or site manager.

Description

The church sits in the heart of the village with a rectangular layout. It replaced a former temple surrounded by a cemetery and a stone fence with shrines.

The neo-Romanesque church represents the Rundbogenstil style and features the typical qualities of single-tower churches designed by Schinkel in the 1820s and 1830s. It is made of brick on a rectangular floor plan with the chancel closed by an apse; a square tower with a porch has been added on the west side. The plastered and rusticated façades are divided by cornices; the window and door openings are topped with arches. The interior is decorated with stuccowork and historicist paintings. The pulpit and altars are as old as the church: the main altar of St Nicholas, side altars of St Catherine and of Madonna and Child Jesus.

The stone fence features four built-in Renaissance epitaphs. Two of them are devoted to the knights of the Schweinischen family (the realistic representation of the figures contrasts with the simplified forms used in the tombstone art of the time). The other two are devoted to a woman of the Nimptsch family (with two coats of arms) and a girl with the coat of the von Schweinischens. The wall is also lined up with the tomb of the Lorenz family, unfortunately the plaques are gone.

The church is in use and is accessible for visitors. It is affiliated to the Parish of St Martin of Tours in Ratnowice.

Compiled by Joanna Szot, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Opole, 01-10-2014.

Bibliography

  • Katalog zabytków sztuki w Polsce, t. VII: Województwo opolskie, red. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, z. 9: Powiat nyski, inwent. T. Chrzanowski, M. Kornecki, Warszawa 1963.
  • Lutsch H., Verzeichnis der Kunstdenkmäler der Provinz Schlesien, Bd. 4: Die Kunstdenkmäler des Reg.-Bezirks Oppeln, Tl. 1, Breslau 1890.
  • Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006.

General information

  • Type: church
  • Chronology: 2 ćw. XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jasienica Górna
  • Location: Voivodeship opolskie, district nyski, commune Otmuchów - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area