Manor house and park complex, Jankowo
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

Manor house and park complex

Jankowo

photo

One of the most extensive palace complexes in the area along the boundary between the Kujawy and Greater Poland regions, consisting of a large park, a grange and a nobleman’s residence. The palace itself is an example of quality English Gothic Revival architecture. The design of the palace is attributed to Friedrich August Stüler, being particularly reminiscent of the palace in Rokosowo, although there are also numerous similarities to a group of Gothic Revival palaces in Greater Poland, including, in particular, those in Będlewo and Gościeszyn.

History

The first references to the owner of the Jankowo manor - Andrzej Jankowski - in written sources date back to the second half of the 16th century. From 1863 onwards, the manor re-mained in the hands of the Hepner family. It is believed that the existing palace was erected at the initiative of Adolphina Strussberg née Hepner or her husband, Paul Strussberg. The first stage of the construction works took place in the years 1880-89 or thereabouts. The design of the palace was the work of one of the disciples of Friedrich Schinkel. The numerous design similarities with the Rokosowo palace indicate that the architect responsible for the Jankowo palace may have been Friedrich August Stüler. The palace was subsequently extended some-where around the year 1900. The entire manor was a fee tail estate, inherited down the female line. In addition to the Jankowo manor, the estate also encompassed the Ludwiniec manor farm. The palace and park complex as well as the neighbouring manor farms remained in the hands of the successors to the Hepner family until 1946. When the State Treasury took over the manor, some of the land was subdivided, with the remaining portion being handed over to the Agricultural Production Cooperative, with registered office in the palace building. The manor was then sold to a private individual after 1989, changing hands on numerous occa-sions.

The park surrounding the palace was designed by Johannes Larss, graduate of the Budziszyn school of horticulture, who remained active in the area around the city of Bydgoszcz from the mid-1860s.

Description

The complex is situated between the western bank of the Pakoskie lake and the bend of the national road no. 255, near the village of Jankowo. The palace itself was designed in the Eng-lish Gothic Revival style; it is an elongated structure positioned on the north-south axis, sepa-rated from the nearby lake by the surrounding park. Originally, the windows overlooking the garden allowed for a spectacular view of the lake, visible through a broad view corridor. The park features a highly diverse topography, with a system of lakes connected by canals and fishways as well as a picturesque network of walking paths and alleys. The total surface of the park is 7.8 hectares, with about 900 trees representing 43 different species. The representa-tional alley located in the northern part of the park connects the road no. 255 with the rem-nants of the driveway ahead of the western façade.

The silhouette of the palace itself is a cluster of several distinct structures. The southern sec-tion of the palace is a two-storey building with a habitable attic, its roof concealed beneath a tall, crenellated parapet, while the northern part of the palace is a single-storey structure. The dominant feature in the building’s silhouette is the four-storey tower with an arcaded upper section, jutting out of the southern wing of the palace, as well as the cylindrical staircase turret in the south-western corner, topped with a crenellated parapet rising above overhanging ma-chicolations. Despite its overall condition, the palace retains much of its lavish exterior detail-ing, forming an eclectic mix of Gothic forms and motifs. All that remains of the building’s interior décor is the vaulted ceiling of the double barrel type in the vestibule, its structural arches resting on cast iron columns and corbels adorned with foliate motifs.

A pathway leads from the former representational courtyard preceding the front façade of the palace towards the extensive grounds of the grange towards the west, surrounded by a brick and stone perimeter wall. The surviving utility buildings of the grange exhibit features of an austere variety of the Gothic Revival style, with brick detailing. The former stables building is a two-storey structure made of brick in two different colours, its façades adorned with tondi incorporating sculpted heads of various animals. The ground floor level features double barrel vaults as well as sail vaults, their structural arches resting upon cast iron columns. The semi-detached buildings designed as living quarters for four families of servants or farm-hands each are located in the north-western part of the complex, their façades showing only vestigial trac-es of their original style.

Limited access to the monument. Private property. The park, offering an impressive view of the palace, is partially open to the public.

compiled by Piotr Dąbrowski, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Toruń, 14-12-2014.

Bibliography

  • Libicki M., Dwory i pałace wiejskie w Wielkopolsce, Poznań 1996,
  • Skuratowicz J., Dwory i Pałace w Wielkim Księstwie Poznańskim, Poznań 1981, p. 110.
  • Architectural monument record sheet, Pałac Jankowo, prepared by Grzybowska M., Moszczyński J., 2000, Archive of the Regional Monuments Inspector in Toruń, Bydgoszcz Branch Office.

General information

  • Type: palace
  • Chronology: XIX w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jankowo
  • Location: Voivodeship kujawsko-pomorskie, district inowrocławski, commune Pakość - obszar wiejski
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area