Manor house, Jakubowice Konińskie
Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa pl

Zdjęcie panoramiczne tej lokalizacji jest niedostępne.

photo

A rare example of a small fortified manor dating back to the 16th century, redesigned during the 18th and 19th century and reconstructed in the 20th century.

History

The fortified manor was erected during the first half of the 16th century; it was designed as the country home for the Koniński family of the Rawicz coat of arms, with Anna Konińska later receiving the manor as part of her dowry; as a result, when Jerzy Czerny married Anna, he also acquired the fortified manor in the process. Later on, the manor became the property of the Bełżecki family as well as of the Łoś family from Grodków. It is traditionally believed that the building also served as a Protestant church during the 16th and 17th century. In the late 17th and early 18th century, the manor house was redesigned at the request of its erstwhile owners - the Łoś family, with the scope of the redesign in question most likely including the extension of the front section thereof and the addition of Italian-style gardens around the house. In 1797, Feliks Antoni Łoś sold the manor to Mikołaj Mrozewicz, who held the title of the łowczy (master of the hunt) of Sanok. His family later owned the manor for more than five decades, although they were briefly confiscated as a form of punishment for their involvement in the November uprising. In order to get their family home back, its former owners actually had to buy it from the authorities. In the years 1838-1855, the manor house was redesigned yet again, its design exhibiting evident nods towards the Classicist style. From the mid-19th century to 1928, Jakubowice Konińskie remained in the hands of the Gawlikowski family; later on, the land was acquired by Jan and Maria Szewczyk, who requested the addition of a portico preceding the front façade, featuring a terrace on the first floor level. After World War 2, the manor house remained in the hands of the Szewczyk family. In 1966, the house was gutted by fire and was partially demolished; all that was left of the once-glorious mansion was now a burned-out ruin. In the years 1985-1990, the manor house was acquired and restored by Wiesław Trumiński; later on, in years 1997-1999, the house underwent further restoration at the request of Anna and Kazimierz Gajek, who still own the manor today; in the course of renovation works, the building was adapted to serve as a hotel and restaurant. The Italian-style gardens around the manor house were recreated and were subsequently recognised as one of the best landscape designs of this kind anywhere in Poland.

Description

The fortified manor, exhibiting features of both the Gothic and the Renaissance styles, is situated at a distance of approximately 6 kilometres north of Lublin, on the western side of the road from Lublin to Krasienin, on an elevated edge of the Ciemięga river valley. The surroundings of the manor house are contemporary additions in the form of a courtyard with an outbuilding, a brick gate and perimeter wall as well as the Italian gardens located towards the south-west. The manor house itself was designed on a square floor plan as a two-storey structure with a basement, its front façade facing the east. It was constructed using stone and handmade frogged bricks arranged in the so-called Polish bond. The south-western corner is reinforced with a buttress. The walls are partially covered with plaster. On the ground floor level of the rear part of the manor house, which was the first to be built, there are two large chambers with barrel vaults. Up front, there are three smaller rooms with vaulted ceilings (barrel vaults with lunettes and double barrel vaults) which were added during the 18th century. In addition, barrel vaults were also used for the building’s basements. The manor house is covered with a tented roof with eyebrow dormers, clad with wood shingles. The front façade follows a three-axial layout and is partitioned with string courses; the corners of the lower part of the façade are decorated with rusticated quoins, while the upper parts of the corners are accentuated with pilasters. The entrance door and the windows all feature profiled surrounds; the ground floor windows are also topped with cornices, while a wooden balcony projects out of the façade above the entrance. The rear façade as well as parts of the southern façade feature exposed brick and stone walls, their windows being adorned with broad, plastered surrounds and window sills. The interior design is the work of the modern age.

The site is open to visitors. The manor house currently serves as the “Anna Manor” hotel.

compiled by Bożena Stanek-Lebioda, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Lublin, 14-07-2014.

Bibliography

  • Record sheet, Manor House. Jakubowice Konińskie, compiled by Michalska G., Michalski Ł., Studziński J., 2003, Archive of the Regional Office for the Protection of Historical Monuments in Lublin; Archive of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Warsaw.
  • Katalog Zabytków Sztuki w Polsce, Vol. VIII: Województwo lubelskie, issue 10: Powiat lubelski, compiled by Brykowski R. et al., Warsaw 1967, pp. 16-17.
  • Rolska-Boruch I., „Domy pańskie” na Lubelszczyźnie od późnego gotyku do wczesnego baroku, Lublin 2003, passim.
  • Maj E., Krajobraz kulturowy z ogrodami "włoskimi" przy d. dworze obronnym n/Ciemięgą w Jakubowicach Konińskich k/Lublina, “Wiadomości Konserwatorskie Województwa Lubelskiego“, Vol. 2, 2000, pp. 229-237.

General information

  • Type: manor house
  • Chronology: I poł. XVI w.
  • Form of protection: register of monuments
  • Address: Jakubowice Konińskie
  • Location: Voivodeship lubelskie, district lubelski, commune Niemce
  • Source: National Heritage Board of Poland

Licence:

report issue with this site

Geoportal Map

Google Map

See also in this area