Roman Catholic church, parish of St Andrew the Apostle - Zabytek.pl
woj. lubuskie, pow. żagański, gm. Brzeźnica-gmina wiejska
The oldest mentions of Jabłonów date back to the years 1251-1263. The village was established or re-designed in spatial terms by Augustinians from Nowogród Bobrzański who owned it until disbandment of the order in 1810. The church came into being in the late 13th century or in the 14th century. The first written reference to the church, mentioning the then parish priest Mikołaj Eckel, comes from 1374. The original church was comprised of a nave and a narrower chancel. In the 16th century, a tower was added to it and the replacement of wooden ceilings by vaults was commenced. In the second half of the 17th century, a porch was added, and in the second half of the 18th century, a sacristy and a chapel of St Thecla were built. The Baroque fittings were founded in the first half of the 18th century. Extensive renovation works were carried out in the early 20th century: painted decorations in the chancel were created then and stained glass panes were installed in the windows.
The church is located on a small hill in the central part of Jabłonów, on the northern side of the main road to Dzietrzychowice and Wrzesiny. It is surrounded by an extensive square - a former cemetery, circumscribed by a stone wall with a Baroque gate from the south. The church is oriented, single-nave, with a narrower rectangular chancel. By the northern wall of the chancel, there are the sacristy and the chapel, and by the southern wall - a porch. Into the south-western part of the nave, a cuboid tower, buttressed in the corner, is incorporated. It is topped with a tented roof. The nave, the chancel, and the porch are covered with gable roofs. The northern annex is covered with an extended plane of the chancel’s roof. The church is made of stone, its roofs are clad in beaver tail tiles forming a “lace” pattern, except for the tented roof of the tower, which is clad in sheet metal. The façades are plastered, topped with a profiled cornice, articulated only by window and door openings. Windows of the nave body and sacristy are splayed and feature semicircular arches, and in the walls of the upper storey of the tower there are two paired windows. The gable-end façade is partitioned with pilasters supporting a triangular pediment. The interior of the nave is covered with a double barrel vault from the turn of the 17th and 18th century, the chancel - with a net vault from the 16th century. In the sacristy and the chapel, there are sail vaults on arches, and in the porch - a groin vault. The rood arch, the entrance to the porch, and the stepped portal between the nave and the tower, have pointed-arches in their top sections. The chapel opens to the chancel with semi-circular arcades. In the chancel, there are surviving painted decorations from approx. 1900, created by the Pohl brothers from Strzegom. In the windows, there are stained glass panes made after 1918 in the workshop of Seidler in Legnica. Among the Baroque fittings, the main altarpiece of the Martyrdom of St Andrew, the pulpit and the baptismal font are worth particular attention. In the church, late-Gothic sculptures, brought from the passion chapel standing at the entry road to the village from the south-west, are stored. In the tower, there is a bell from 1448.
Limited access to the historic building. Viewing of the church interior is only possible by prior telephone arrangement.
compiled by Anna Jackiewicz, Regional Branch of the National Heritage Board of Poland in Zielona Góra, 16-12-2014.
- Garbacz K., Przewodnik po zabytkach województwa lubuskiego, t. 2: Powiaty: żarski - żagański - nowosolski - wschowski, Zielona Góra 2012, s. 198-199.
- Zabytki sztuki w Polsce. Śląsk, Warszawa 2006, s. 332.
Protection: Register of monuments
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_N_08_BK.32434